Best polarizing filter?

aarhap

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone. I'm new here so I'm sorry if there is already a thread about this.

I was just wondering which you think is the best quality polarizing filter for an amateur, such as myself, to start using? I already use a UV filter for protection but I find that it degrades the quality of some of my images.

It will be used on both of my lenses (Canon EF-S 18-55mm and Canon EF 75-300mm), both of which have a 58mm diameter.

Thank you for any help you can give me,
Aaron

The best for an amateur is one that encourages use...so something that isn't going to cause bad pictures. If it adds flare and wahtnot, you'll be turned off.
Same with UV filters, actually.

I just picked up a B+W MRC from B+H, and it's awesome. It was only called MC, but it showed up as the MRC (which was listed as more expensive)

Anyways...no glare or flare so far...and they're rated very highly among everyone who uses em.

The polarizing effect is very good, as well.

If that's too expensive (58mm shouldn't be too bad)...then maybe Hoya S-HMC...but they're only a fraction cheaper.

I have a 77mm B+W CPL and can't speak highly enough about it.

For 58mm have a look here at B&H. Yes they are expensive. Hoya is another option. Whatever you choose, just make sure it's optical glass for this filter.

Sorry to jump in on your thread aarhap but I had the same question.
As far as the B+W MRC Polarizing filter is this the one you guys would recommend for a 52mm size?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/10879-REG/B_W_65045613_52_mm_Kaeseman_Circular.html

Also what is the difference between linear and circular? I imagine it is in the physical construction of the glass itself?

For a bit of background I will be using this filter to photograph a lot of aquariums where glare is always the killer of a full tank shot. Thanks!

Sorry to jump in on your thread aarhap but I had the same question.
As far as the B+W MRC Polarizing filter is this the one you guys would recommend for a 52mm size?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/10879-REG/B_W_65045613_52_mm_Kaeseman_Circular.html

Also what is the difference between linear and circular? I imagine it is in the physical construction of the glass itself?

For a bit of background I will be using this filter to photograph a lot of aquariums where glare is always the killer of a full tank shot. Thanks!

Yup. But you don't have to get the kaessman or whatever if you don't want...it's better, but also extremely expensive.

Circular polarizers are for newer autofocus cameras, because linear polarizers screw them up sometimes.

Most reactions

Back