Best portrait shot ive done so far.

winnie2457

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is a screen shot from my Facebook site as don't have laptop to hand as over seas but constructive critism please.

No editing at all straight from camera d3100 with nikon 50mm prime at f1.8

Attachments

• $image-3052332172.jpg
    $image-3052332172.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 166
Screen shot not best quality need to up load original file from camera sorry

You might want to notice your backgrounds before you release the shutter; the yellow bush being a bright color (and the person next to it) tends to draw the viewer's eyes there. You could move the subject, or move yourself a few steps and change your vantage point so you can have a background without distractions.

There are three things I see that could be improved. Orientation, shoot vertical vice horizontal (Portrait as opposed to landscape). Next, as mentioned, the background, and last, but DEFINITELY not last is the lighting. This image desperately needs fill light. She is suffering from a bad case of 'racoon eyes'. That said, it's not a bad shot, but it does have room to improve.

Thank you very much for the tips and I have took them on lard for next time

I think it's interesting how the three "bokeh dots" on the man in the background seem to indicate he is playing a saxophone.

Lighting, as mentioned! Harsh outdoor sun could have used diffusion... and fill (reflector / flash) would have filled those shadows. You can barely see her eyes. You have decent background separation, but a larger aperture would have helped even more.

and that lock of hair above her right ear.. could be photoshopped

The sunlight is shining directly on the side of the face creating a huge shadows underneath the eye. I would suggest backlighting the face and over exposing the face.

Yes there are a few issues here but personally I agree with the lighting comments as that seems to be the number 1 issue. To me without great eyes you will never have a great portrait, I would have also like to see a bit more of her upper arms, maybe 2-3 inches or so ... her right shoulder especially is composed/cropped too high. Think of not composing/cropping at joints, images look better that way imho.

The sunlight is shining directly on the side of the face creating a huge shadows underneath the eye. I would suggest backlighting the face and over exposing the face.

Which would also make the background very light. Which I also what would do. +1ev, spot meter on the face, backlit. Tends to create dramatic highlights in the hair when it works. Especially w/ the flower in the hair.

Also, if I was chimping this setup (looking on the camera) I would probably want to recompose to put the flower on the bright side of her head. Either move her, or move the flower. But that's still a lost cause due to the harsh shadows causing raccoon eyes.

Compositionally... I'd definitely either back off a little to get more of her... or I'd flip to portrait orientation. And move her off center. It doesn't always, but in this shot, dead center composition looks like an iPhone snapshot.

finally, if the guy in the background IS playing saxophone, and if he's intentionally part of the picture, then I'd go to a smaller aperture in order to get him somewhat (if not a lot) more in focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back