Best RAW editing software?

ceejtank

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I usually only use Canon's software for RAW editing, but am assuming it's lacking in it's overall abilities. I just read on the football pics post about shooting in raw so you can use the "fill light tool" in it and light up their faces.. to my knowledge(which lets face it.. itsn't all that much :lol:) my canon digital professional doesn't have that option..

so what's the best out there?

For other editing software I have PSE7, PS CS3(full), Photomatix(for HDR if anyones unfamiliar w/ the program).

..........so what's the best out there?...........

There is no such thing as 'the best'. If there truly was, it would be the only one on the market.

ceejtank said:
I usually only use Canon's software for RAW editing, but am assuming it's lacking in it's overall abilities. I just read on the football pics post about shooting in raw so you can use the "fill light tool" in it and light up their faces.. to my knowledge(which lets face it.. itsn't all that much :lol:) my canon digital professional doesn't have that option..

For other editing software I have PSE7, PS CS3(full), Photomatix(for HDR if anyones unfamiliar w/ the program).

Fill light should always be used sparingly! :)

Adobe camera raw comes with cs3 and is a great raw processor.

..........so what's the best out there?...........

There is no such thing as 'the best'. If there truly was, it would be the only one on the market.

Lets go with "some alternatives you people prefer".. and there definitely is such a thing as the best, it's just relative.

ceejtank said:

Fill light should always be used sparingly! :)

Adobe camera raw comes with cs3 and is a great raw processor.

Thanks.. I'll have to check to see if that installed and I just didnt see it.. it'd been a while (obviously since I'm running CS3) that I've even looked at those files.. or that install disk(s)

ceejtank said:
Thanks.. I'll have to check to see if that installed and I just didnt see it.. it'd been a while (obviously since I'm running CS3) that I've even looked at those files.. or that install disk(s)

It's there. Bridge is also part of photoshop. It's an image viewer and has its own ACR. the only way, I believe, to open ACR is to open a raw file. If you open bridge and right click on a raw file it gives you the option to open in camera raw.

If you have a fairly new camera your version of ACR may not open your raw files. You can try updating ACR but that still may not work. The only get around is to (a) upgrade photoshop or (b) download adobes DNG converter. You would then convert all all your canon raw files to DNG. DNG is an open source raw file that adobe created. The dng files are also a little smaller but are really no different then the canon raw file.

The best is debatable, whats best for you might not be best for me.
In theory Canons own software should do the best raw conversion (they have all the raw information) others would disagree. Many would argue that photoshop is the industry standard, but it is expensive, while programs like gimp (similar to earlier version of photoshop) is free.
Personally I'd look at a newer version of Elements (v11 due out soon-ish) it's changed a lot since your version, or maybe Lightroom, free trials of both from adobes site, see what works for you.

I have Photo Pro X3. It's cheap and it works.

I know RawTherapee was a freeware that was pretty damn close to Adobe Camera Raw/Lightroom. I haven't played with it in years now.

IrfanView is another freebie.

Lightroom
Lightroom
Lightroom

In terms of quality, Lightroom uses the same 'engine' that Adobe Camera Raw does, so no real difference there. But Lightroom puts it into a more efficient system. It's especially great when you're dealing with a large number of images.

There are differences between different RAW programs - however in every comparison review I've read they generally come to the same conclusions. Yes there are differences and specific RAW programs can sometimes give you (generally minor - only visible at 100% view) advantages over the others - however the conditions where one program has an advantage over the others are not repeatable for a photographer. As such you'd have to own, use and compare all the different software options for each RAW photo to pick out the "best one". For most photographers the gain from that is so tiny that its just not worth it.

What it then comes down to is the features, interface and how easy it is to control and use the program. Some of them are quite powerful, others lack certain tools (eg Adobe strip down bits of their RAW processing engine setup for Elements) whilst others just present things better. Adobe Lightroom is a very popular tool for RAW processing because it offers a lot of functionality, a simple easy to use interface and also doubles as a library and management software package. With the inclusions of layer masks and more in Lightroom 4 its really become a very streamlined program which can do a lot if not all a photographer needs to get a photo from RAW to print ready -- it still lacks some CS5 features, but it generally presents a very complete and powerful tool which will do most if not all of what you need.

Also - I've personally never liked the interface in Canons RAW processing software - good or bad I just can't get to grips with it.

More training books...
More online guides...
More video tutorials...
More support...

Lightroom ... Its the best $129 you'll spend on photography.

Most reactions

Back