Best superzoom camera for vacations?

StellaMarisB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some advice on which camera to buy. I'm looking for a superzoom bridge camera and am having a hard time choosing.

Primary use: This is mainly for my yearly vacations on the Magdalen Islands, where I photograph birds in forests and on the shore. (Weather is of course variable there; equally bright sun and overcast days.) I also take photos of landscapes, night skies (constellations) and wild plants, and sometimes people. I share my photos on a blog, but I don't make photography the primary focus of my vacation moments.

Priorities in order of importance to me:
1. Clear superzoom capability (at least 50x zoom) for identifying birds
2. solid image quality
3. fast autofocus
4. reliable image stabilization (I have a slightly shaky hand)
5. decent macro capability
6. decent viewfinder
7. general ease of use.

Is there a camera that you would recommend more highly than others? Any cameras that you would suggest I avoid? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

(P.S. Some that I am considering so far are Canon PowerShot SX60 HS, Nikon Coolpix P900 (or B700), Panasonic DC-FZ80K Lumix, Sony HX350...)

CoolPix P900.
Image quality is so so but...83x zoom

Thanks, Chuasam! Do you mean the image quality is so-so relative to other superzoom cameras, or compared to a DSLR?

The more a lens tries to do, the less it can do anything well.

So the more 'zoom power' you get, the less image quality gets.

Actually the Nikon Coolpix P900 lens is actually very good. It's reach is amazing. It would be a very good travel camera if you want the big zoom capability.

Don't like superzooms but from my understanding the Nikon P900 is very good, probably what you are looking for.

Thanks, Chuasam! Do you mean the image quality is so-so relative to other superzoom cameras, or compared to a DSLR?
so so compared to higher end Superzooms like a Sony RX10 III

Most reactions

New Topics

Back