Best Waterproof/Tough Camera

Emilyvannah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

This is my first post on Photoforum!! I am looking for the best waterproof/tough camera. I would like to hear what y'all think and recommend. My boyfriend and I have began to go on canoe trips and a waterproof camera would come in handy. The past couple of times we have went I just put an old iphone in a waterproof bag and used that. I would like something I have more control over and will get good quality photographs from. I enjoy working in manual. Is there such a thing as a tough camera that has a manual mode? Also I would like to be able to take RAW images to edit in Lightroom. I am more so looking for a camera that is good outside the water but could occasionally use it underwater.

Any help or information would be great! If you have heard any news about a new touch camera coming out please let me know that as well. I do not want to buy a new one then a new model come out with what I would like more.

Thanks!

Emily

Last edited:
On my link, check that site for the latest in tough waterproof cameras. That link might not be the latest there. You could check the individual manufacturers there as well to see their latest cameras.

For occasional water sports, a regular DSLR and one of the nicer waterproof bags similar to those from ewa-marine is a good option. These are flexible housings and not the rigid style commonly used for diving. They are not cheap.

I have a waterproof Pelican camera case and then just take the camera out when its calm, that was a cheaper option. It is also bright yellow and easy to see.

Theres a really cheap waterproof housing for the A7 camera: A cheap Waterproof Housing for the A7-A7r-A7s from Meikon. sonyalpharumors

Other than that, the Nikon 1 AW1 is a really compact water- and shockproof camera that would probably be transportable enough traveling. Just be careful that you get one of the two lenses with the same property. If the IQ of a 1" sensor is sufficient to your needs is something you need to decide for yourself.

The Nikon 1 system has many drawbacks, but in good light their autofocus system seems to be excellent, even sufficient for sports. I havent used it myself, though - thats what Thom Hogan claims about the Nikon 1.

Thank you for your replies! Does anyone have any photos that they would mind sharing from the Olympus Stylus TG4?

Thank you!

Emily

If you are looking for highend point and shoot type cameras that can shoot RAW, have manual control and use under water, Canon Powershot G series and the S series have some when you also get the Canon Waterproof case.

The following link is Canon Underwater Photography

Canon U.S.A. Underwater Photography

But keep in mind that Canon (like all other underwater camera housing companies) will not guarantee equipment damage due to water leak. Because there are a lot of factors that cause water leak and are not related to product defects or malfunctions.

I have one of the Nikon Coolpix AW120 kicking around. I bought a bunch for work and gave them to our field engineers. So far no one has ruined one. They photos are decent but all the protection comes at a cost.

Thank you for your replies! Does anyone have any photos that they would mind sharing from the Olympus Stylus TG4?

Thank you!

Emily
If you search Amazon or B&H for the camera, you'll be able to see example customer images.

The Oly TG 4 is a nice step up from a camera phone, but still no Manual mode (but you will need the manual to decide which scene mode to select).

The Nikon 1 AW1 offers both RAW and Manual mode.

I still like taking the DSLR, although I always remember a canoe trip where my dad and granddad flipped over and lost two cameras and their fishing gear. I wish GoPro existed back then as they never told the story of what happened.

Other than that, the Nikon 1 AW1 is a really compact water- and shockproof camera that would probably be transportable enough traveling.
Ah yes, forgot about that one. I wouldn't go scuba with it because a lot of people reported the camera flooding while under water, and subsequent refusal of Nikon to honor the warranty, but it would fit the OP purpose well.

The Oly TG 4 is a nice step up from a camera phone, but still no Manual mode (but you will need the manual to decide which scene mode to select).
No full-on manual, no, but there's an aperture priority mode and exposure comp which kind of does the same thing, just in a more convoluted way(which beg the question: why do camera makers make entry level camera more complicated to use?).

Most reactions

Back