Beyond Night

woodsac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.around395.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This shot is about a month old. I was gonna trash it because of the noise, but decided to keep it. Getting rid of the noise in these long night exposures is hard! :grumpy: These are super low clouds right after the rain stopped falling. It's a 25 minute exposure.

54924671-O.jpg

Wow, I never tried long exposures like that. Gives me inspiration to do so, great capture, I like it

ClarkKent said:
Wow, I never tried long exposures like that. Gives me inspiration to do so, great capture, I like it

I agree, awesome colours!

Very nice woodsac. What aperture/iso did you use? On an exposure that long I would think it would overexpose?

Mate....dont trash pics like this, its well good, love the tone of red. :thumbup:

being a 25 minute exposure, that wind must have been dead still.

excellent capture! :thumbup:

i've been using "neat image" for a year or so now. works wonders on noisy images...and it's free.

gorgeous color sacman!
love the red... and yeh that long exposure workes real well :D :D :D

Thanks everyone.

crawdaddio said:
Very nice woodsac. What aperture/iso did you use? On an exposure that long I would think it would overexpose?
This one was at f/5.6 I think. I mean these clouds were really low! There's a mountain just a couple hundred yards behind the tree that I couldn't even see. The ISO was my main problem. I used 800. For these really long exposures, I've switched to ISO 100. I figure I've already gotta sit out there forever, no need to up the ISO and the noise :mrgreen: Crawdaddio, if you saw my startrail pic, that was a 1 hour exposure f/4 @ ISO 100. I wish I had used a larger aperture on that one. I didn't get enough light! It's super dark out here in the desert, so light pollution isn't a problem.

Not even the slightest breeze JM :D The clouds were not moving away, they were getting lower! It was pretty neat. The rain was pouring and I couldn't shoot any lightning. I was just about ready to quit...and it just stopped! No more rain, wind or anything. Just total and complete calm and quiet.

Another excellent image. . Nicely done man!!!

If you needed a 25 minute exposure at 800 ISO for this, what did your EYES really see at the time? And where does the red come from? If it were the sun, you would not have needed to expose for so long, I would think! Makes me wonder... this picture does! Which is no bad thing at all for a photo to do, right? And I like the colour!!!

That's it Corinna...you don't see much :confused:
The red hue in the sky is obvious, but the long exposure really brings it to life. This is from a different storm, but kinda shows the same thing. This shot is only an 8 second exposure.

39128074-L-1.jpg

So what you are saying is: you practically just ASSUMED there'd be SOME light SOMEWHERE out there, invisible to your eyes, but with a long enough exposure visible to your camera - and you were curious to see what the camera would see? That is one cool concept. How does your camera know what to focus on?

Most reactions

Back