Bicycle shadow [C&C requested please]

dalex100

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was going to school this morning and I saw the shadows on the ground. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera on me, so I took the picture with my cell phone. Here it is :

Shadow Bike by dalex100, on Flickr

For me, it might be nicer if there were no other shadowas competing for attention and the trees weren't in the background. Also, your shadow could possibly do with a little darkening .Otherwise a very nice shot and good to see you wear a helmet whilst riding.

I agree about the tree, but I don't mind the one diagonal shadow that would be left in the corner if you cropped the tree. I might also try to clone out the twig in the lower right.

A nice shot, and a great job keeping your photographic eye open to shots at all times.

I agree that I think the shot would be stronger without some of the things going on in the top portion. I don't think cropping is the way to go, however - if you crop enough of the top to remove the tree trunk on the left you've drastically reduced your shadow's headroom and all of a sudden the shot feels cramped. If it's possible to clone out that tree and its shadow, as well as the tree and shadows at the upper right, you've given the shot a more open feel which I think is appropriate for a cycling shot. I would leave the long, thin shadow just beside you as wall as the shadow of leaves at the end of this line. Though I suspect the long, thin shadow is a light pole I can talk myself into believing it is a thin tree trunk with those sparse leaves at the top, and that is a nice context to the bike ride.

If you chose to reshoot this theme with your real camera, you might want to consider bringing a couple friends to help hold your bike. With this composition enough of the wheels are off the bottom and sides of the frame (I like that, by the way) that if you have friends lie on the ground they should be able to grab enough of your wheels to hold the bike steady without their shadows appearing in the shot. That would free you up to position your feet where they make the most artistic sense (around 3:00 / 9:00 ish, so get separation between your legs) rather than needing one leg down to hold up the bike.

A nice shot, and a great job keeping your photographic eye open to shots at all times.

I agree that I think the shot would be stronger without some of the things going on in the top portion. I don't think cropping is the way to go, however - if you crop enough of the top to remove the tree trunk on the left you've drastically reduced your shadow's headroom and all of a sudden the shot feels cramped. If it's possible to clone out that tree and its shadow, as well as the tree and shadows at the upper right, you've given the shot a more open feel which I think is appropriate for a cycling shot. I would leave the long, thin shadow just beside you as wall as the shadow of leaves at the end of this line. Though I suspect the long, thin shadow is a light pole I can talk myself into believing it is a thin tree trunk with those sparse leaves at the top, and that is a nice context to the bike ride.

If you chose to reshoot this theme with your real camera, you might want to consider bringing a couple friends to help hold your bike. With this composition enough of the wheels are off the bottom and sides of the frame (I like that, by the way) that if you have friends lie on the ground they should be able to grab enough of your wheels to hold the bike steady without their shadows appearing in the shot. That would free you up to position your feet where they make the most artistic sense (around 3:00 / 9:00 ish, so get separation between your legs) rather than needing one leg down to hold up the bike.

Thank you guys for taking time to C&C my picture, it's very appreciated. Well I tried to crop the top of the picture, but it removes the leaves. And by the way, I hate using Photoshop to edit my pictures, I like them original. And for the long shadow, I think it's a light pole and to its right, it's a tree trunk.

For me, it might be nicer if there were no other shadowas competing for attention and the trees weren't in the background. Also, your shadow could possibly do with a little darkening .Otherwise a very nice shot and good to see you wear a helmet whilst riding.

And yes I still wear a helmet whilst riding :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back