Bicycle Touring... What camera to get?!?

White99z

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone. This is my first post! It is time for me to finally switch over to digital. I was a photography student in High School and excelled. It has been four years since I have used my SLR camera, but I think I still have it in me! In a month, I will be embarking on a midwest bicycle tour, going from my hometown of Grand Rapids, MI around Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. Most of my time will be spent in Michigan. I will be gone for nearly two months and would like to get a digital SLR to document my trip as well as to jumpstart my passion for photography again. I will be taking my Nikon N75 with me to do some black and white photography too, provided I don't sell it. I am looking to purchase a used camera. I will primarily be taking scenery shots such as sunsets, lake pictures, etc as that is my passion. I will also be taking some pictures of people as I will be hitting a few music festivals on the way! Also, I would like to keep the price around $400, but could go up to $500. Is there a camera/lens combo out there that I could pick up used for this price which will allow me to take some professional quality photos? It also needs to be durable because it will be travelling! Good battery life is a plus too. Thanks for you help. I hope to be using these forums much more often!

Jeremy

I guess I should also say that I would prefer to get something I won't need to upgrade soon, because I am sure I will get very serious into photography again. I stopped with the film photography because I no longer had a darkroom and equipment to work with. Now all I need is my laptop!

similar situation and budget to me it seems

need a decent body with a good all around leans for $500,

im now looking at a used, nikon, D50 D70(bring up to a bit more than 500) or D40 with either an 18-70 or stretch to an 18-135mm lenses.

Mabye you can push you budget a little more and get Nikon's latest....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/542463-REG/Nikon_25438_D60_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

Personally I think you should make a choice though between the N75 and a digital I mean how much room can you really have on your bike. I know the pannniers bikes have now are fairly large and you can carry a backpack but I think 2 SLRs is just pushing it. Of you get a decent DSLR you can very easily make excellent B+W's from it and if you are good enough at the PP you wil never know the difference.

Mabye you can push you budget a little more and get Nikon's latest....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/542463-REG/Nikon_25438_D60_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

Personally I think you should make a choice though between the N75 and a digital I mean how much room can you really have on your bike. I know the pannniers bikes have now are fairly large and you can carry a backpack but I think 2 SLRs is just pushing it. Of you get a decent DSLR you can very easily make excellent B+W's from it and if you are good enough at the PP you wil never know the difference.

What is the PP? That camera looks nice, very nice. However $650 is way out of my budget. Would selling the N75 to put towards the DSLR be a bad idea? Would I wish I still had the film camera at times? I can manage to take just one on the trip... that is probably a very wise decision!

Also, I have a Nikkor 28-80mm lens that came with the N75. Is this lens worth keeping and selling the body only or should I just sell it all if I were to sell it?

u doubt youd get enuf from the N75 to justify selling it, there was a thread yesterday about a guy who just got one. cost me $20 or something.

wudnt be worth selling!
the lens should be useable with modern dSLR's so you cud get a body then another lens if you get more into it!

What is the PP? That camera looks nice, very nice. However $650 is way out of my budget. Would selling the N75 to put towards the DSLR be a bad idea? Would I wish I still had the film camera at times? I can manage to take just one on the trip... that is probably a very wise decision!

Post processing is what was meant by PP. I cannot tell you how you will feel about your film camera after you buy a digital but I can tell you I was a reluctant convert but I have not shot a single roll of film since I bought my D70s. I will agree that you will not get much of anything for your N75 far less than would be worth your time in trying to sell it. I named the D60 since you were talking about not needing to buy something next week and since the D60 is Nikon's latest camera this would be a way to go. If you cannot afford that you might try a D40/D40x.

Post processing is what was meant by PP. I cannot tell you how you will feel about your film camera after you buy a digital but I can tell you I was a reluctant convert but I have not shot a single roll of film since I bought my D70s. I will agree that you will not get much of anything for your N75 far less than would be worth your time in trying to sell it. I named the D60 since you were talking about not needing to buy something next week and since the D60 is Nikon's latest camera this would be a way to go. If you cannot afford that you might try a D40/D40x.

pretty sure u can get a used D70/s for that price :)

Dumb question but... do the model numbers range from lowest to highest?

Ex: Lowest D20, D40, D50, D60, D70 Highest?

there isnt a D20
but yes in a way.

D40 is technically the lowest, but is alot newer than the D50 D70/s

speaking from experience here, just get a good small point and shoot. You will be VERY happy you did. When I road the west coast USA I took my little canon digi. Lots of shots I didn;t even slow down to take - I kept the camera in a water bottle cage for easy access. You won;t want the added weight of a DSLR. But in all fairness, I even cut my toothbrush in half to keep weight low as a referance to my philosophy on bike touring. I rode between 80 and 150 miles a day solo trip took just under 4 weeks. I was very glad I kept weight at a min and most of the shots where I just held the camera over my head pointing back were the best anyways....... and most fun.

So... I have been doing a little more reading. Unless I can get a D80 for cheap used (how much do they go for used?) I will be getting a D40! Does this sound like a decent decision? It seems to me that the D40's are very good cameras that are well suited for someone getting into digital photography. I have also read that the D60 has the same limitations as the D40... which made me decide the D40 over the 60.

Most reactions

Back