Big Blue Shadow

otherprof

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After a lot of night shots, I decided to see what this shooting in daylight is like:02.47-tranquillity:

DSC07077.jpeg

Creative use of the shadow as sort of an artificial horizon to isolate your subject.

I feel like I owe you one, as I've just stolen your idea :)

Creative use of the shadow as sort of an artificial horizon to isolate your subject.

I feel like I owe you one, as I've just stolen your idea :)
We are even. You gave me a nice gift when you liked the idea enough to take it! BTW, when I took the shot I was trying to get the child running toward the mother - and I was just a little late for the shot I wanted. I only saw the possibilities for this one when I got it on the computer screen and started playing around in Photos.

Don't be afraid to walk into the light! LOL

I like the fact you were thinking outside the box in utilizing the shadow line as a strong visual element, but there's a couple of fails. You have strong leading lines working, but none of them are doing a good job of leading the eye into the point of focus, which you indicated is the mother/child. By not doing so, those same lines lead the eye away from your point of focus. Ideally this might have been visually stronger if the mother/child were more to the right, using the lines in the concrete and the palm trees in the background to frame them, but in lieu of that a tighter crop could still make it work, by putting the shadow line on the bottom thirds horizontal, and the mother child on the left thirds vertical. Just a thought, because I like Chocolate!
DSC07077-2.jpg

Don't be afraid to walk into the light! LOL

I like the fact you were thinking outside the box in utilizing the shadow line as a strong visual element, but there's a couple of fails. You have strong leading lines working, but none of them are doing a good job of leading the eye into the point of focus, which you indicated is the mother/child. By not doing so, those same lines lead the eye away from your point of focus. Ideally this might have been visually stronger if the mother/child were more to the right, using the lines in the concrete and the palm trees in the background to frame them, but in lieu of that a tighter crop could still make it work, by putting the shadow line on the bottom thirds horizontal, and the mother child on the left thirds vertical. Just a thought, because I like Chocolate!
View attachment 156280
Thanks, but I've become attached to that big blue shadow. Your advice would no doubt make the picture I was originally going for better, but for this new idea I'm sticking with blueberry:02.47-tranquillity: Now the mother and child just call more attention to the big blue rectangle of shadow for me.

Last edited:
After a lot of night shots, I decided to see what this shooting in daylight is like:02.47-tranquillity:

View attachment 156266
For anyone still interested, I've corrected the thread title. I just noticed it read "Big Blue Shadow Af". I have no idea where the "Af" came from. It was not meant to call attention to the fact that auto focus was used.

Most reactions

Back