What's new

Big Brother

sekhar

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 17, 2012
Messages
139
Reaction score
31
Location
Pasadena, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's a pair of palms from where I live. My goal was to highlight how tall they are. I'd appreciate your C&C.

$IMG_0638.webp
 
Try to bring out some detail on the darker side of the tree. The intent to show tallness is a good one.
 
The desire to achieve depth was not accomplished, because the trunk is basically one color the whole way up. The only thing that's showing its depth is the fact that it's getting smaller and I don't think it really works.

I also think you included too much neg space on the top and not enough of the second tree you said you wanted to capture.

I think this would be an interesting shot if you

#1 - lightened the trunk of the close tree so that I could see some detail in it.

#2 - centered the trunk of the first tree and edited out the second tree.
 
Thanks, below are a couple of edits. I'm trying to prevent the crops from turning this into a landscape and ruin the tallness feeling I'm trying to maintain. Let me know what you guys think.

#1View attachment 34859
#2View attachment 34860
 
I like the contrast of the two trees. I would have stepped back from the trunk just slightly to drop the size of it and keep the lower trunk from dominating the shot quite so much. Then move the larger tree further to the right to balance it against the smaller one in the overall composition. I would have also focused better on the leaves than on the trunk if you were wanting to highlight the contrast in size. I just keep wanting to focus on the branches of the two trees, but am drawn away by the commanding trunk of the first one and so lose the smaller tree and the contrast between the two.
 
I agree, I think the shot only works with the smaller tree in (which is why I called this Big Brother)...without the little one there is nothing to compare. I did focus on the leaves BTW. The point of having that gigantic trunk was to have a dramatic perspective where it tapers rapidly to emphasize the height and make this a bit more interesting (i.e., that was a deliberate choice).
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom