Bird Feeder

shelby16

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got this great bird feeder from my sister yesterday, and I have it hanging right outside my window. It's really just a platform with bird seed on it, and I don't mind squirrels eating it either.
But, here is my problem!

I have my camera set up on a tripod aimed at the bird feeder, and everything is set up perfectly. All I have to do is take my lens cap off (I freak out that dust will get into my lens, because I leave it on the tripod even when I walk away), and press the shutter button (I JUST ordered a shutter release, so it wont get here until the weekend). BUT... they see my hand, and run for the hills.

What can I do (besides track down my shutter release remote to get it faster) to not scare away the beauties? :confused: Is it bad for me to just leave my lens cap off? What are some tips?

Thanks,
Shelby

You are inside looking out? Build a blind out of a blanket with a cut out for your lens.

You are inside looking out? Build a blind out of a blanket with a cut out for your lens.
Yes I am! Sorry, forgot to mention that. That's a GREAT idea!!!! :)

What can I do (besides track down my shutter release remote to get it faster) to not scare away the beauties? :confused: Is it bad for me to just leave my lens cap off? What are some tips?

This depends on how close you are. If you're outside with the birds, you're playing against the biology of birds. You would have to sit there a long time for them to become used to you, if they do. A better option is to use some sort of blind. If you have a nearby window, that should be enough to ease the birds' concern. Pop the window open so you don't shoot through glass. Otherwise you can buy a portable hunting blind or manufacture something.

Another option, which involves a minor investment, is remote shutter release. I'd recommend a PocketWizard Plus X ($100) and a release cable (use PW's cable finder to find the one that matches the Plus X and your specific camera). There are full TTL cables and non-TTL cables; the non-TTL are much cheaper and really all you need for non-flash photography. You'll need a second PW to use as a trigger, so another Plus X. Plus X right now is probably the easiest to use. You would need to prefocus on one spot, wait for the birds to come, and then fire. You could also press half way to focus and then fire if you want auto, but I wouldn't use continuous.

To get more natural shots, consider setting up a branch near the feeder. This is the part you can really control. You can control the position of the branch and thus the light and background of the scene. You're creating a stage. How you rig the branch is up to you but a light stand, some clamps and a bungee work well.

Stop worrying about lens caps. You should be 100% ready to shoot when the wildlife shows up, no fumbling. Leave the camera on and dial in your exposure ahead of time. Dirt on the glass doesn't hurt anything. Just clean it carefully with a blower and then a dampened microfiber cloth.

I have a blog post about this coming up Monday. I publish every Monday.

Random but thanks for this post. lol I have a huge bag of bird seed and need a new feeder. Filled mine up before we left our last duty station and hoped the new tenants would continue feeding the lil guys. lol

And they will warm up to you! They flew off at the slightest movement for a long while but got less scared over time.

Thanks!!
I'm glad I could help frommrstomommy! I hope they warm up to me soon, because it's driving me crazy. So many beautiful blue jays and I can't get a good picture of any of em.

If your feeder gets a lot of traffic because you are supplying them with the good stuff (I use black oiled sunflower seeds and a variety of suets), they may flutter off initially with your movements, but they will return. Although light dust on the outer element will have little, if any, effect to your photos, I recommed having the cap ON when the lens is not in use. If the lens is mounted as you describe while idle, I also recommend to have the lens hood ON.

If your feeder gets a lot of traffic because you are supplying them with the good stuff (I use black oiled sunflower seeds and a variety of suets), they may flutter off initially with your movements, but they will return. Although light dust on the outer element will have little, if any, effect to your photos, I recommed having the cap ON when the lens is not in use. If the lens is mounted as you describe while idle, I also recommend to have the lens hood ON.

Yes the lens hood is on, but I've been leaving the lens cap off so I'll put it on. Everytime I reach to take it off, I scare away the birds though. Gah.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back