Bird ID Help

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok bird people can anyone ID this one? I want to say it's a Sharp Shinned Hawk that comes around once in a while because of the chest feathers but it was at an awkward angle in the tree after he bombed the feeders and lost a chase with a Junco, the body looks totally wrong.

Unfortunate miss but thought there may be some clues in the tail etc...

Hmmm maybe an American Kestrel? It was very small...

First, let me say: My Hawk ID skills are nearly non-existent. There's Big Hawk, little hawk and merlins and kestrels. That's it. :D

It's not a Kestrel. I really don't think it's a Sharp-Shinned either. Those eyes don't look like either of them, and the coloration is wrong.

I'm not sure this is actually a hawk at all. Look at the way it's perched, more like a songbird. And that tail looks more like a songbird too.
Huh. I don't know, but I'm gonna look into it. I'll definitely learn something once we get an ID on this one.

EDIT: I believe that's a Northern Shrike. I thought it seemed a bit familiar.

EDIT of EDIT: Yeah, I'm almost certain that's a Northern Shrike. Look here for more info/pictures of one.
I've never seen a Shrike before! We have Loggerhead Shrikes here, but I've never found one.

Based on monkeying around on bird ID web sites, I am going with some kind of a shrike. Loggerhead, or Northern?

ETA: I'm going with Northern based on the beak color.

It's not a sharp shinned hawk. Chest feathers have the creamy colour with darker bands; but otherwise its all wrong;

Beak is a bit too long; hooked but the SSH has a typical hawk like beak such as you'd see on a kestrel
Legs are too short, the SSH has quite long legs below the feathering; with typical large taloned feet (the photo bird only has shorter legs and also a much smaller set of fingers more akin to typical songbirds)
Facial and wing markings are totally wrong and this bird has a more bubble/rounded shape to its upper body (again like a song bird) instead of more elongated (more typical hawk like)
Eyes are far too dark with no clear yellowy surround and clearer pupil - although this can be something that gets lost in photos.
This bird has quite a clear black line behind its beak and running under the eye, the SSH doesn't show such a patterning on its face.

Sadly I don't have a USA songbirds ID book so can't tell what kind it is; but its not a hawk.
(Helm makes some good ID books for birds - Raptors of the World is a heavy, but great book for raptor identification)

I identify it as a Fluffy Birdie of the Painfully Cute variety.

(I'm useless here.)

The raptor beak on the songbird body makes these little buggers kind of stand out.

I did wonder if the beak were adapted either for some kind of nut or such or if it were a hunter of dragonflies, butterflies or similar insects. Interesting to read that it actually hunts small mammals and birds

Yep, a shrike, around here we call them Butcher Birds. They catch prey, frogs and mice and such, and impale them on a thorn or wire fence, then come feast on them later.

I knew I asked in the right place ;) Definitely an immature Northern Shrike, it is a totally new bird to me and damn is it cool! I just couldn't wrap my head around it's behaviour and it's shape lol I knew the Blue Jays eat mice, when the squeaky toys stop squeaking around here I toss them out on a platform feeder and they never last long, if a crow doesn't get it a Jay will.

This guy put on a pretty impressive show, he bombed the feeders and crashed into the bushes beside it, went in the bushes and shot out the top on the tail of a Junco who got away, he landed in this tree to rest before carrying on, it was way cool!

Looking forward to seeing more of it and hopefully it's parents!

I don't think it's a Shrike. Their mask covers the upper and lower eye in a defined black. This photo has it mainly below.

Most reactions

Back