Birds dislike flash photography. Proof inside...

robertwsimpson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just for giggles, I popped the flash on for a few shots. These actually came out nicely, I think. Shooting into the sun...

Sleeping:

ANGRY!:

"We are NOT amused!" :D
Nice.

I've got 2 cactus v4s on the way... I might have to get there REALLY early and set up some lighting... it could create some cool stuff with the sunrise behind it...

Neat series and yes it does seem like you woke some poor chap up!

And a remote lighting setup - would love to see some results from that! I guess the trick is knowing where the birds will be appearig, but yes a great chance for some backlit shots that are not silouetts.

Well, luckily for the frequent visitors to the little preserve, the birds are usually in the same spots... a lot of which are east facing from the boardwalk. There are 2 or 3 spots that will definitely yield results. I've never used off camera flashes, so the only variable will be my lack of experience.

Hmm with the cactus can you adjust the settings from your camera for each flash or just triggor them? If its the former I suspect you will need a few dummy shots really early into the setup and then balace your output based on the results since I don't think cactus will support auto flash shooting (thus far I think only the new pocketwizards support this).

yes, I am sure that I will have to run the flashes on manual. I wouldn't have them more than 10 or so feet away from me really, so I think I would be ok.

Carefull ...she might bite ! :) There ok ....dosen't seem the sun efected your shots

Great series (albeit a tad overexposed on head on the second image IMHO). Really does looked ticked off at you.

I love GBH's.

I'm still working on getting the hang of correct exposure on my 50d. As far as I can tell, I have to have some flashies on the screen, or when I get back, the whole thing will be horribly underexposed, and when I pump it up to proper exposure, super noisy. I just have to figure out how many flashies to go for. Birding is the most challenging for me!

... Birding is the most challenging for me!

Wow, ain't that the truth! If its not exposure issues, then its issues with the d*** things not keeping still long enough! I understand why the pros use those very long lenses so they can have some fiddle-room. I find myself often getting only one chance to get it right (and usually fail miserably).

This trip made me pretty desperate for a 70-200 f/2.8 IS and a 1.6x teleconverter. time to start working on the wife...

This trip made me pretty desperate for a 70-200 f/2.8 IS and a 1.6x teleconverter. time to start working on the wife...

Well, I have a Sigma EX 100-300 f/4 and a 1.4X and a 2X, but they're STILL not long enough (IQ with the 2X isn't very good) ...

I've been thinking about getting the Canon 400 f/5.6 or the new Sigma 50-500 OS.

Don't tell the wife how much a Canon 500 f/4 costs :) This and/or the Canon 600 f/4 are the standard lenses of pro bird photographers. You'll either be sent packing or committed to the nuthouse.

lol I definitely would not be able to get her to go for one of those lenses right now. too much real life getting in the way for such a specialized thing. 70-200 is still versatile enough for me to be able to justify it. with the new version out, I should be able to pick up a nice used one for a good price. I think I will spring it on her as an "out of debt celebration" for me. I'm already crossing my fingers.

Well, that lens should do a lot for you and not just for birding! I wish I had bought that one instead of my 50-150 f/2.8, but I didn't know as much at the time. Fortunately, herons and the like are pretty big birds and not as demanding on focal-length as the songbirds :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back