Birds

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My first time trying to capture birds at a nature preserve - really enjoyed myself but very mixed results. My technique needs some serious work. I did much better after I remembered and switched to the settings recommended by @coastalconn in that write up he posted a while ago. Had a lot of almost and not even close focus issues which I'm going to post in another thread for some advice. Here are the ones I consider keepers. I don't know any of the names yet so if you can help with that or recommend the best website or method of identifying birds I'd appreciate it.

I am happy with these for a beginner birder with a 70-300 (Tamron VC) but would welcome any feedback on the cropping or settings (AF-C, Auto ISO). The woodsy ones needed to be greatly adjusted for exposure/blacks in post and I had to apply a bit of noise reduction:
Ipswich_7002_edited-1 by SharonCat..., on Flickr
Ipswich_7029_edited-1 by SharonCat..., on Flickr
Ipswich_7000_edited-1 by SharonCat..., on Flickr
Ipswich_6972_edited-1 by SharonCat..., on Flickr
Ipswich_6971_edited-1 by SharonCat..., on Flickr
Ipswich_7011_edited-1 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

You've got chickadees (b&w) and nuthatches (blue-grey & white). #4 is great, you've got so much crispness all over and his eye is captures really well.

You've got chickadees (b&w) and nuthatches (blue-grey & white). #4 is great, you've got so much crispness all over and his eye is captures really well.

He was very friendly, following us as we moved around. I think he was hoping we were going to feed him which I assumed is not allowed at a refuge but I swear he was looking for food, even did a dive right over my bag when I set it down.

I am loving that lens! Very crisp/sharp. Great job! :)

This was at the Ipswich Audubon? There are people that go there regularly and feed the birds, so they are very familiar with humans. When I was there they were landing on people's hands because they were holding up birdseed.

Great first set.

Thanks Zombie and Jr!

This was at the Ipswich Audubon? There are people that go there regularly and feed the birds, so they are very familiar with humans. When I was there they were landing on people's hands because they were holding up birdseed.

I thought that might be it. We didn't see a lot of other people since we were there relatively early but the way the chickadees were following us along the trail it was obvious they wanted something to eat. Is it ok to feed them? Do you know? I'll bring some seed with me next time if it's allowed.

I don't know whether or not it's okay, but the people I saw doing it had been there for a while, stayed for the 30+ minutes I was photographing their birds and were there when we came back around later on the same loop.

Glad my little article helped you out :)

It did but I had to base it on my memory since I couldn't find it even after doing a few key word searches. Is it a sticky somewhere? If not it should be! It could fit with the Nature forum or in one of the Foundations forums like Beyond the Basics or even the Articles forum.

Glad my little article helped you out :)

It did but I had to base it on my memory since I couldn't find it even after doing a few key word searches. Is it a sticky somewhere? If not it should be! It could fit with the Nature forum or in one of the Foundations forums like Beyond the Basics or even the Articles forum.
Hey mods, hear that? Maybe my article should be a sticky :) Whenever I need to find it I google capturing distinctive birds and google finds it.. Capturing distinctive bird images

Chickadees are very social little buggers. I enjoy hanging out with them.

Very nice effort! High quality work!

Most reactions

Back