birth photography anyone?

...In each case, the physicians limited what we could and could not videotape or photograph for personal liability purposes...
Not meaning to derail the thread, but WTF????? The physician is scared that you'll record him doing something wrong - WHY wouldn't you send him/her packing and retain someone competent?

its more the hospitals covering their as*es. Most drs say they wouldn't mind.

In my case these are both my daughter-in-law... I never share client photos, so you're stuck with just these ones! There's a LOT more that I can't show you... But you get the idea from this. [video]http://www.flickr.com/apps/slideshow/show.swf?v=109615[/video]

for some reason I can't view it...just a black screen.....

Shooting a home birth would be amazing (in theory - I had a scheduled c-section with my son so I've technically never seen a natural birth) but I have to agree that it seems like such a personal experience to share with someone that you don't know.

I think it takes the right kind of person. One who knows about birth, and how a natural birth progresses. Yes, it is very personal, loud, messy, INTENSE, etc. If I would have had the $ I would have LOVED to have someone there. The thing is, when your giving birth naturally you aren't really 'there'; you can't be when you are in that kind of pain. Your in what the birthin' people call 'labor land'. With my first I barely remember a thing, my hubs said to me it was like I was on heroin :lol:. My second I was more aware, but once it comes time to push you are OUT of it. So it would be nice to relive it through photos. Help bring back pieces of the journey.

I have a hell of a time with those damn flickr slide shows! Try HERE

Oh, good Lord! I am batting a thousand! Here?

...In each case, the physicians limited what we could and could not videotape or photograph for personal liability purposes...
Not meaning to derail the thread, but WTF????? The physician is scared that you'll record him doing something wrong - WHY wouldn't you send him/her packing and retain someone competent?

It's pretty common practice and in most hospitals they really do limit you what you can take photos of.
The docs were fine with all of it whenever I've been there, but the hospital is the one with rules that suck. Then again I've only worked with a couple of docs here locally. Even where my kids are in Tucson limited me just about the same as the hospital here though!

thanks. Thank God I finally got the right darned link!

As an attorney, I can assure you that if something goes wrong it's not just the hospital that's getting sued. An attorney will sue every person involved, including the doctor and the hospital.

Let me give you an example, when my first daughter was born, her heart rate started to drop suddenly and she was a bit "stuck" at one point. If they didn't get her out quickly they were going to do an immediate C-section. The doctor ended up using the suction tool that grabs the top of the baby's head. To get her out, they had to twist the head and neck pretty hard and there she was. She's fine, but as an infant and toddler, she had a pretty bad case of torticollis. Torticollis - PubMed Health

She outgrew it eventually with several years of PT, but if it had caused permanent damage to her growth, the doctor who did the procedure and the hospital both could have been the targets of malpractice lawsuits.

Just my $0.02. I am not going to debate the merits of my post--just making a point.

As an attorney, I can assure you that if something goes wrong it's not just the hospital that's getting sued. An attorney will sue every person involved, including the doctor and the hospital.

Let me give you an example, when my first daughter was born, her heart rate started to drop suddenly and she was a bit "stuck" at one point. If they didn't get her out quickly they were going to do an immediate C-section. The doctor ended up using the suction tool that grabs the top of the baby's head. To get her out, they had to twist the head and neck pretty hard and there she was. She's fine, but as an infant and toddler, she had a pretty bad case of torticollis. Torticollis - PubMed Health

She outgrew it eventually with several years of PT, but if it had caused permanent damage to her growth, the doctor who did the procedure and the hospital both could have been the targets of malpractice lawsuits.

Just my $0.02. I am not going to debate the merits of my post--just making a point.

yes, and if they had video it you would have even more leverage to sue right? I know that the dr could be sued too, but *most* doctors will 'tell' you THEY would allow it, but the hospital doesn't. Maybe they just put the blame on the hospital so they don't seem like the bad guy....idk....I had midwives :)

And we live in a lawsuit happy nation. People sue AND WIN for EVERY LITTLE THING THEY IMAGINE.
If a nurse sneezes in a delivery and the baby just happens to be born with pneumonia (my son was) there's a lawsuit just waiting to happen. In reality is it her fault? NO! But a GOOD attorney could certainly turn it into her fault.
Even if a lawsuit is not won, it still costs the hospital a LOT in legal fees... Preventing that in any way possible is a big factor here. We are already livid as a whole over the cost of health care. If the hospital, doctor, etc don't do every little possible thing to prevent those from happening costs would only get higher and higher.
In the end I feel more to the side of they are doing the best to keep costs down and CYA. It's the nature of the beast we have created in this nation.

And we live in a lawsuit happy nation. People sue AND WIN for EVERY LITTLE THING THEY IMAGINE.
If a nurse sneezes in a delivery and the baby just happens to be born with pneumonia (my son was) there's a lawsuit just waiting to happen. In reality is it her fault? NO! But a GOOD attorney could certainly turn it into her fault.
Even if a lawsuit is not won, it still costs the hospital a LOT in legal fees... Preventing that in any way possible is a big factor here. We are already livid as a whole over the cost of health care. If the hospital, doctor, etc don't do every little possible thing to prevent those from happening costs would only get higher and higher.
In the end I feel more to the side of they are doing the best to keep costs down and CYA. It's the nature of the beast we have created in this nation.

This sueing lark really pisses me off, it's come over here now

For the record, I'm not a litigator. I'm a tax attorney. I help people avoid taxes. I don't sue them. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back