Bit of an odd question...

In a public place a release is not necessary, unless the photo is being used for advertising. Therefore I would not concern myself with a release.

As to taking photos of homeless people, it is not necessary to stick a camera in their face. It can be done discretely from a distance.

skieur

Public place or not, there is a difference between taking photos of a street scene where a homeless happens to be in it, and frame up a close up of a homeless (or any other person) with a telephoto lens from a distance. If you do that you are taking pictures of the person, not the public place and you do need a release if you want to publish your images.

Except from the legal perspective, I also believe that you get better photos after talking and connecting with people, rather than trying to snap a few shots without them noticing. If you just spend some time with them they will eventually start acting natural around you and the camera, and you can get some really good candids.

If they don't want their picture taken, you simply move on to your next subject.

You are making a totally unwarranted assumption that all homeless people are normal. Many of them are mentally ill, who have fallen through the cracks in the system. I had one pull a knife on me, simply because without a camera, I was in her space while I was walking on the street.

Approaching a homeless person to ask to take their photo could get you killed.

skieur

Please inform us lowly peons on your vast knowledge of the homeless situation? That is just ignorant, could get you killed, so could driving to work, crossing the street and thousand other things. So take advantage of their situation and fear them and not give these PEOPLE any respect but look down on them. Why is it when those who are for some reason down on their luck, fallen through the cracks of the system suddenly become labeled Potential KILLERS, please love to know the rate of murderers amongst the homeless population compared to the general populace and prove your point , please, I am sure you have all the Data to back up such a foolish statement, ignorance is bliss I am told and you must be very blissful. I cannot allow such total ignorant ideas to be spread or tolerate those whom espouse it. You choose to be ignorant please keep it to yourself. I am sure a friend of a friend had this harrowing experience you will enthrall us with or some other lame and uniformed tale, because not a chance any DATA backs up such a preposterous statement. And unless you have hard DATA I really don't care how you respond because it is just what I said ignorant. And this supposed homeless person you KNOW for a fact was homeless how? Or you just like to jump to conclusions based on being uniformed. And I am sure you reported it the local authorities and had this person arrested for attempted murder. I didn't think so.

Wow dude, that was harsh. Having a bad day or something?

Please inform us lowly peons on your vast knowledge of the homeless situation? That is just ignorant, could get you killed, so could driving to work, crossing the street and thousand other things. So take advantage of their situation and fear them and not give these PEOPLE any respect but look down on them. Why is it when those who are for some reason down on their luck, fallen through the cracks of the system suddenly become labeled Potential KILLERS, please love to know the rate of murderers amongst the homeless population compared to the general populace and prove your point , please, I am sure you have all the Data to back up such a foolish statement, ignorance is bliss I am told and you must be very blissful. I cannot allow such total ignorant ideas to be spread or tolerate those whom espouse it. You choose to be ignorant please keep it to yourself. I am sure a friend of a friend had this harrowing experience you will enthrall us with or some other lame and uniformed tale, because not a chance any DATA backs up such a preposterous statement. And unless you have hard DATA I really don't care how you respond because it is just what I said ignorant. And this supposed homeless person you KNOW for a fact was homeless how? Or you just like to jump to conclusions based on being uniformed. And I am sure you reported it the local authorities and had this person arrested for attempted murder. I didn't think so.
Shheesh, chill out.

Hi, this is my first post in the forum here.
I think it all depends on the situation when you see them, and how you want your picture look like. If you could talk to them, it will probably give you a great chance to take some portrait photos. If you try to sneak to take shots of them, the photos will look quite "street photography". Either ways are fine, I think. Of course you need to know that it will risk you too. If you are lucky, you will get fine pics.:lol:

(Hi Zig, welcome to the forum. The following does not pertain to you. :))

Or try all of the above, there are quite a number of homeless people about.

The above was meant to sound snide and though I really dislike offending anyone, the attitude that they are little more than city scape fauna is offensive to me!

I have worked near a favorite haunt of the guys in this area and had the opportunity to get to know several of them. I can assure you that they are just as human as any one reading this forum.

The reasons for their conditions are as varied as their personality and each should be approached with the respect that anyone deserves- at least until an individual proves themselves to be a jerk and the normal rules still apply.

If anyone wants to do a documentary, roll up your sleeves and go to it, just Don't expect to be through and home by dinner. Unless of course you take several of them with you and you have a home studio.

I apologize for being testy

but there it is.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back