black and white film gear

right now my camera is a canon ftb with canon50mm 1:1.8 S.C. lens and a vivitar 62mm 75-205mm 1:3.8 MC micro focusing zoom

Id like to have a camera just dedicated to black and white film. that hopefully has the ability to use a macro lens.

Why not another FTb ?
The advantage is identical controls, and same lens mount.

BTW, I shot B&W for YEARS with a SLR.
As was said, macro is not a strength of a RF camera.

Last edited:
My favorite film camera is the Olympus OM-1 with a Zuiko 50mm f1.4 lens. Small, built like a tank, simple, great image quality. And cheap.
P8.jpg

My favorite film camera is the Olympus OM-1 with a Zuiko 50mm f1.4 lens. Small, built like a tank, simple, great image quality. And cheap.View attachment 173175

I remember when my cousin showed me his OM1. I thought what a toy, compared to my Nikon.
But now as a senior citizen, I am seeing his wisdom of a lighter kit. :icon_thumbsup:

Earlier this week a forum member had some used cameras for sale at reasonable prices.,and among them was a Canon F-1 (n)?new-style F-1? For,as I recall, $135 or $165. A really SOLID, system camera from the mid- to late-1970's. Really a nice machine. Have you considered an F-1 or F-1n?

F-1 from what I can see is the previous generation of the FTB-n that I have. Good little girl. Very solid.

Its funny how all the 100% mechanical cameras after 1965 have a light meter that NEEDS a battery to function, or how you can get correct usage of that camera without a light meter.

F-1 from what I can see is the previous generation of the FTB-n that I have. Good little girl. Very solid.

Its funny how all the 100% mechanical cameras after 1965 have
1- a light meter that NEEDS a battery to function, or
2 -how you can get correct usage of that camera without a light meter.

The F1 is an earlier generation than your FTb-N, but not the previous generation of the FTb-N. The previous generation of the FTb-N was the FTb. The FTb was a related but different line of cameras than the F1.
The F1 was the pro camera, the FTb was the consumer camera.
The Nikon equivalent was the Nikon F series pro cameras, and the Nikkormat was the consumer camera. This was before Nikon merged the Nikkormat line into the Nikon line, for marketing purposes.

#1 - There were cameras with selenium meters, which did not need a battery. CdS meters need a power source (battery) to work.
If your statement referred to the presence of a meter, there were cameras without meters; such as Nikon F series with standard (non-metered) prism, Hasselblad C and CM500, most of the TLRs, and others.

#2 - True since the early 1900s (and earlier) till today with a dSLR in manual mode. The "Sunny-16" rule, still works.
I first shot 35mm film, using the instruction sheet in the box of film. I cut out the guide and tapped it to the back of the camera.

right now my camera is a canon ftb with canon50mm 1:1.8 S.C. lens and a vivitar 62mm 75-205mm 1:3.8 MC micro focusing zoom

Id like to have a camera just dedicated to black and white film. that hopefully has the ability to use a macro lens.

Why not just get another FTb?

Or a Bell & Howell FD 35? (It is a re-branded FTb)

As for macro lenses, there is the Canon FD 50mm f/3.5 and 100mm f/4. Both are sharp when stopped down to f/8 on my original Sony A7. They should perform better on film as the A7 has a thick filter stack over the sensor.

Even better than the Canon lenses are the Komine 55mm f/2.8 and 90mm f/2.8. Both of those lenses are sold under the Vivitar brand. You can tell the Vivitar lenses made by Komine as their serial numbers begin with 28.

The Komine lenses don't need an extension tube to reach 1:1. They were also sharp at f/5.6 when I was testing with my A7. They come in multiple lens mounts, so it might take a bit of time to find one in a FD mount.

Earlier this week a forum member had some used cameras for sale at reasonable prices.,and among them was a Canon F-1 (n)?new-style F-1? For,as I recall, $135 or $165. A really SOLID, system camera from the mid- to late-1970's. Really a nice machine. Have you considered an F-1 or F-1n?
Canon FTB-n - 1973
Canon F-1N - 1976
both use the PX625 battery only for the light meter
... and my F-1N was going for cheap CAD$165 ... which means it is almost free to you Americans
You might have liked the Canon P rangefinder that I also was selling ... no battery

Why not just get another FTb?

Or a Bell & Howell FD 35? (It is a re-branded FTb)

As for macro lenses, there is the Canon FD 50mm f/3.5 and 100mm f/4. Both are sharp when stopped down to f/8 on my original Sony A7. They should perform better on film as the A7 has a thick filter stack over the sensor.

Even better than the Canon lenses are the Komine 55mm f/2.8 and 90mm f/2.8. Both of those lenses are sold under the Vivitar brand. You can tell the Vivitar lenses made by Komine as their serial numbers begin with 28.

The Komine lenses don't need an extension tube to reach 1:1. They were also sharp at f/5.6 when I was testing with my A7. They come in multiple lens mounts, so it might take a bit of time to find one in a FD mount.

The Kiron 105 f/2.8 macro is a FANTASTIC lens. Goes 1:1 life size without any adapters, etc. also sold under the Vivitar Series 1 name.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Most reactions

New Topics

Back