Black Mirror (C&C please)

TM4RT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I had an idea for a new photo project involving an unusual technique: using a mirror in the frame to include objects in the photo at different angles and whatever else you can do with a mirror. So here are my results from the first day (from my blog):

Flickr Set: Black Mirror

Today was one of my funnest days taking pictures. Sure I looked weird as hell holding a mirror in front of me and it was hard at first getting the angle right, but the possibilities are huge adding the mirror element to the photo. Looking forward to an interesting project.

If anyone else has tried this, post your pictures up here. I'll be posting my results here for the rest of this week.

It's a nice effect. Mirrors have been used throughout the history of photography. The question is what are you trying to say by using a mirror. An obvious and cliche way to approach this is to show garbage in the mirror, like you are in image #1, but show a glamorous cityscape outside of the mirror--many cities try to attain an image of sophistication and wealth but are unable to properly deal with the unsavory aspects of urban civilization.

There are endless possibilities with what you are doing. Just remember you are using a car mirror which has its own connotations. And that you are treading on cliche soil. Good luck.

if you could find a mirror (or make one) without the awkward border on it that would be sweet

Thanks for your replies, and kkamin, can you link me to some shots similar to these?

I'm sure that they're out there, but I searched flickr and didn't find much.

And for what I'm trying to say, it's mostly based on the juxtaposition and contrast of the two images in one. Being able to put things that are behind you into the frame, or stuff at different angles.

Again, thanks for the feedback, I'll have photos from today up soon.

Today was the second day of the black mirror project and it didn't go as well as it could have. I started out the day bad, getting up at like 2, and then waiting until 4 to take pictures. About 30 minutes into taking pictures, the battery died, so I walked home and charged it. I went out again at like 5:30, but by then it was way too dim outside to get good pictures. The final 5 photos from today are still good, just not as good as they could have been. Well, here they are:

Hopefully tomorrow will be better. I'll try to go out earlier when the light is still good. It's still really awkward operating a camera and angling the mirror just right, but I'm getting better at it.

I like the concept, however I think the mirror is too clean. I prefer reflections that hint at the subject rather than clearly stating what the subject is. A quick, albeit not the exact same, example would be something like this:

reflect.jpg

i like both methods, i like this idea a lot, i might have to try some of my own, the one thing i was thinking is of a way to make the image on the mirror and the original image merge together more, maybe try finding a mirror thats not framed by anything, or a piece of acrylic mirror and bend the image a bit

The third day of this project was way better than yesterday. I had good light, my camera battery didn't run out and I got better shots. I also met a security guard for an abandoned hotel (I don't get it either) and got him a soda so I could take pictures inside of the building. So far, I'd say that today's pictures are the best of the three days. Here they are:

Most reactions

Back