Black&White Challenge: EGGS

i-G8QMvpv-XL.jpg

I like that combined the previous challenge with this one :)

My wife has been unable to locate eggs...
It has been difficult. Our stores have recently gotten some in stock but had been out for awhile. Thankfully she had some hard boiled before the run on supplies started. When she ate one, I asked her to try to preserve the shell as much as possible.

Still no eggs. She found cheap bread, tiny potatoes, and licorice. No milk, no meat...

Last edited:
With every challenge it's stated what the first, subsequent theme will be, so, ultimately digital and film photographers can work on themes a few weeks in advance, if they wish. The theme for the next challenge is 'Only Negatives' and please, don't start uploading images for this challenge yet, but wait until a new thread is opened for this theme on March, 29

*) only new photos taken from the date of the theme's announcement may be used, also any creative photo-edits (in whatever form) may only be realized with photos that were taken from the date of the theme's announcement

gk, could you expand please on what you mean by 'Only Negatives?' I'm guessing you mean an inverse of the positive image, and not that it's for negative film shots only.

Still no eggs. She found cheap bread, tiny potatoes, and licorice. No milk, no meat...
That's the worst I've heard about. In what part of Michigan are you?
I live between Jackson and Lansing. Apparently, you have to get to the stores on their stock day in the AM. She did but they had nothing on the truck that we needed. My wife is bummed, she eats eggs every morning.

Great, creative lighting. eggcellent shot @rslt

Took a long time to realize what this thread needs:

e double g-1-9.jpg

Ha ha, bacon makes everything better

With every challenge it's stated what the first, subsequent theme will be, so, ultimately digital and film photographers can work on themes a few weeks in advance, if they wish. The theme for the next challenge is 'Only Negatives' and please, don't start uploading images for this challenge yet, but wait until a new thread is opened for this theme on March, 29

*) only new photos taken from the date of the theme's announcement may be used, also any creative photo-edits (in whatever form) may only be realized with photos that were taken from the date of the theme's announcement

gk, could you expand please on what you mean by 'Only Negatives?' I'm guessing you mean an inverse of the positive image, and not that it's for negative film shots only.

There will always be a gap between the meaning of some words and concepts in one language and the other, it's sometimes confusing and don't think Google is a big help, Google translate is completely useless for translating Dutch/English or vice versa! Let me give you a good example, in English is spoken about 'film' but in Dutch the word film actually means 'movie' - a filmcamera in English is a camera for (analog) filmrolls, in Dutch we call it a 'fotocamera' and filmcamera in Dutch is a camera for making movies (like in the old days Double-8 film, Super-8 film etc.), nowadays in Dutch we even call digital cameras just 'fotocamera' instead of digital camera.

Yes, with negatives I don't just mean film negatives, but - as you call it - the conversion of positive (B&W) images into B&W negative images, hopefully the accompanying text that will be found tomorrow in the appropriate thread is clear enough about what is meant.

"As with almost any theme, the assignment seems easier than it actually is. The idea of this theme is to think exclusively (as we still know it from film photography) in B&W negative images. It seems simple, to quickly convert a color image into a black and white negative image in PS, but in practice it's somewhat different. Perhaps it helps to set your camera to 'in-camera black and white' in this case, because converting a positive color image directly into a negative black and white image in your mind is extremely difficult.

Because of limitations due to corona, everyone will take a large part of the photos for this challenge indoors and the tip is to look for 'extremes' like strong differences in light and dark, hard shadows or bright sun rays that fall on a wall or piece of furniture. Try to photograph ordinary utensils, such as tea cups, drinking glasses or scissors in backlight. Remember that the B&W negative is the end result and should therefore appeal just like it would be a photo positive, the composition counts just as hard or even harder and the conversion into all shades of gray is just as important. You'll discover that creating an attractive B&W negative (image) is different from simply clicking a conversion button in PS or any other photo editing program!"

Gerard

Most reactions

New Topics

Back