BlackRapid. RS-4, RS-5 or RS-7?

Geaux

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm biting the bullet and going after a BlackRapid strap for my European trip in a few weeks, but I'm at a crossroads on which to get.

The RS-4 is a simple strap, cheapest (by 5 bucks lol) and has a simple zipper storage for small things.

RS-5 has cell holder, larger zipper case, fold out pouch for mem cards, etc.

RS-7 is the middle price range, no storage options, but is the newest they make with a more comfortable shoulder pad. It's also their newest design that will work with future add-ons.

I'm not sure if I'll need the storage at all on the strap (especially if all it holds is memory cards). I'm leaning more towards the 7 b/c of it's future add ons, but the others have good selling points also (one is the cheapest and some storage and the other is a storage champ)

Any thoughts on these guys, which would you go after? Own one? Which one? LOVE it or HATE it? Wish you would have gotten a different version from br?

Sorry for the ton of questions but I think I'll need to have my small shoulder camera bag with a lense or two if I want to switch while out walking. Is this defeating the purpose? lol If anything, I think the bag would be good for rain if we get any. Or is there a bag I can rig up to go over the strap to keep my camera dry?

Go with the RS-Sport, it's like the 7, but with the brad built in (removable if needed). Best strap i've ever used.

You can also attach other mods on a RS-4. I have the RS-4 with the Brad for almost a year now. Best strap I ever used. Sold all my other straps since I had this one. Go for the RS-7

Do ya'll use the storage compartments in either of your straps? RS-7 doesn't have them and wondering if I'll miss them if I go that route?

@sw1tch, does the BRAD make that much of a difference?

I have the RS-2 and use the cell phone compartment to hold a couple of radio flash receivers and a spare memory card.

Here's another question for those who own it. When you use it, are you bringing only camera and 1 lense out or is this also coupled with a camera bag when out traveling?

I'm trying to think if it's worth the 60 bucks b/c I fear that I'll want to have another lense with me while out walking around in Europe.

I'm in the same dilemma to be honest as I'm just starting to pack up for a month long trip in Europe and a speed-strap would do wonder but I find them a little on the expensive side and wasn't sure how well they worked.
I like the idea of having pockets but not sure If I will use them.

Here's another question for those who own it. When you use it, are you bringing only camera and 1 lense out or is this also coupled with a camera bag when out traveling?

I'm trying to think if it's worth the 60 bucks b/c I fear that I'll want to have another lense with me while out walking around in Europe.

Depends what lens you will be bringing. I'm thinking to stick to the 18-200 VR for travel even though my whole bag is coming along.
What lens or lens combo are you thinking about bringing?

My lenses are all coming with me, but daily travel, probably not.

I have a 18-270, 10-20, and 35 1.8

I think I'll mostly be shooting with the 35 and bring the 10-20 daily. Might give the long one a shot, but I'm more comfortable shooting with the other two. I went to a local store today and tried on the rs-7 and will more than likely pick this one up this week. While pricey, the comfort level is pretty amazing.

Here's my plan, bring my small sling bag to carry an extra lense and flash and have the BR across my shoulder all day. I might travel lightly on some days and ask my wife to carry an extra lense in her bag (but in a padded zippered pouch) while I just have the BR. My one worry with that "light" day is random rain. Not sure how I would protect it.

A little down side on the R-Straps here. There is a lot of strain on the camera body if you attach the Fasten-R to your tripod mount especially if you have a plastic body or you have a battery grip. The eyecup also has a tendency to get in contact with your trousers and will loosen after a while and I lost 3 eyecups already. To remedy this I bought an OP/TECH USA utility loop (OP/TECH USA Utility Loop System Connector) and attached it to the strap mount. Never lost an eyecup since then.

But despite the down side, its still the best quick draw strap for me. Its like having a Safariland Model 013 on your hip.

I bought the RS-7 about a month ago specifically for an upcoming family vacation to Grand Cayman (which I just returned from). The strap worked great on vacation. I slung it over my shoulder nearly everywhere we went and my camera stayed put on my hip, didn't get in the way, and is easily accessible for a quick shot.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think I'm going the way of the RS-7, tried it on at a local store here yesterday and loved the feeling. They didn't have the sport on hand, but I had a "budget" of 50'ish for myself. The 7 is putting me about 10 over, the sport would put me 20 over, plus I don't think I'll need the under arm accessory.

I spent some time looking at the RS Sport and it seems to have some issues fixed, not to mention the fatter strap which looks more comfortable. I think this will be a winner for me.

What are some of the issues have been fixed from the rs-7? (in the sport)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back