Blemishes on processed film

Kyle V

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to determine if the blemishes that keep appearing on my processed film is from bad processing techniques by my camera store, or if it's something else. It's not specific to any kind of film or camera, but it happens on a few exposures on every roll I get processed. If so, it might be time to start processing my own film. You can see the blemish in the center of both pictures below. I have plenty more examples if needed.
Nikk007.jpg
Nikk004.jpg

Looks like Newton's Rings... caused by the scanner.

Yeah after doing some research that definitely seems to be the issue. Any tips on how to avoid that? I'm using an Epson v600 flatbed scanner.

Yeah after doing some research that definitely seems to be the issue. Any tips on how to avoid that? I'm using an Epson v600 flatbed scanner.

You need to get the film off the glass. I use the film holders that came with my Epson V700 or in the case of odd size film I cut a hole in a piece of matt board and tape the neg down.

You need to get the film off the glass. I use the film holders that came with my Epson V700 or in the case of odd size film I cut a hole in a piece of matt board and tape the neg down.

I've been using the film holders that came with my Epson V600 but I'm guessing it's still somehow touching the glass. I'm wondering if it's because of the curve of the film that's causing it to stick up higher than the film holders.

I've been using the film holders that came with my Epson V600 but I'm guessing it's still somehow touching the glass. I'm wondering if it's because of the curve of the film that's causing it to stick up higher than the film holders.
Yeah, most likely. I have the same issue with my V550 now and then. You could try to flatten the film by putting it under a stack of heavy books or something (while in a sleeve, of course). It may or may not work. I think I've also had luck with really bad cases by flipping it over and scanning it backwards, then flipping the scanned image.

You can buy anti newton ring glass to use

Everyone already said what I came here to say: newton rings, flatten the film under some heavy book, rescan.

Most reactions

Back