What's new

Bokeh question

The Online Photographer: What Is Bokeh?

Bokeh Test

Bokeh in Pictures

http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_1/129000/129691/4/print/bokehrankings5.pdf
Mike Johnston's 2005 bokeh list in .pdf format, free download

Bokeh: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article

Silverbased | Bokeh: What it is and isn’t

Learning bokeh - Page 3 - Rangefinderforum.com

Here is an example of a person with a very shallow understanding of bokeh, and who has developed a bunch of bokeh "textures", thinking that bokeh refers exclusively to out of focus specular highlights or out of focus lights. Still,it's interesting to see what one person's incomplete idea of bokeh is all about 155+ Free Grungy And Beautiful Bokeh Textures | Little Box Of Ideas
 
You don't find the background distracting in these pics?

Yes, I do find it distracting, but it's also perfectly normal.


Using my current lenses, would I just be better off leaving the background more in focus?
Maybe, maybe not. Finding the right background against which to compose your shot is one of the key elements which seperates the snap-shooters from the photographers. Even with a top-end Sumicron lens producing Bokeh creamier than whole milk, the background will still look like crap if the image isn't well composed.

And for when I look at lenses...what is a good # of aperture blades to have. My lenses have 7.

Ehhh... there's not really a 'good' number, although often (but not always) more is better. The shape of the blades is also critical.
 
Were any of these shots taken at maximum aperture? If you shoot at maximum aperture you should have more perfectly circular spectral highlights. #3 looks to me like it was shot at maximum aperture at least.

Yes. Boots at 1.2 :)
Batgirl at 2.2 and 2.0 respectively

I think your two lenses are awesome, and produce very nice bokeh. I am just curious how you ventured down the Leica road...as I have heard exceptional things about their glass.

There are 2 guys in my life that have matching t-shirts that say "He who dies with the most toys wins". They collect fishing stuff (deep sea and fly), bicycles, motorcycles, watches, violins, pipes, and cameras...specifically anything with Leica stamped on it. One of these guys even had a dog named...Leica.
As with all things, here is always something newer and better so there ya go.
I had a P&S and liked snapping pics. One day I told the 2 guys that I wanted to learn how to take REAL photographs. They handed me the L1 and the 2 lenses and the camera manual and told me it was a great beginner camera and everything I needed to know was in the instructions.

I have not found that to be the case
There is, in fact, a lot in that little manual...but really.



Anyway, the point is that there's a distinct difference between the quality of bokeh, and the strength of it. I think you're confusing strength for quality.
I'm currently confused about a lot of things, but I do think you are absolutely correct. I was just very confused about one comment in particular and then I obsessed about it. I've been looking at lots of "good" and "bad" shots today (thank you Derrel) and I think I now have a loose grasp.

Finding the right background against which to compose your shot is one of the key elements which seperates the snap-shooters from the photographers. Even with a top-end Sumicron lens producing Bokeh creamier than whole milk, the background will still look like crap if the image isn't well composed.

This is one thing I tried to work on today. It's really hard though! There is "stuff" everywhere. Really smooth beautiful spots with nice subjects...and then some super ugly trash can or streetsign or icky colored car.
So I tried some open natural spaces, and then I have a million bright yellow leaves with sun steaming through and then if my subject is well exposed I have the psychotic blwn out "spctral" stuff.

Maybe I should just take up knitting:lol:
 
Were any of these shots taken at maximum aperture? If you shoot at maximum aperture you should have more perfectly circular spectral highlights. #3 looks to me like it was shot at maximum aperture at least.

Yes. Boots at 1.2 :)
Batgirl at 2.2 and 2.0 respectively

I think your two lenses are awesome, and produce very nice bokeh. I am just curious how you ventured down the Leica road...as I have heard exceptional things about their glass.

There are 2 guys in my life that have matching t-shirts that say "He who dies with the most toys wins". They collect fishing stuff (deep sea and fly), bicycles, motorcycles, watches, violins, pipes, and cameras...specifically anything with Leica stamped on it. One of these guys even had a dog named...Leica.
As with all things, here is always something newer and better so there ya go.
I had a P&S and liked snapping pics. One day I told the 2 guys that I wanted to learn how to take REAL photographs. They handed me the L1 and the 2 lenses and the camera manual and told me it was a great beginner camera and everything I needed to know was in the instructions.

I have not found that to be the case
There is, in fact, a lot in that little manual...but really.



Anyway, the point is that there's a distinct difference between the quality of bokeh, and the strength of it. I think you're confusing strength for quality.
I'm currently confused about a lot of things, but I do think you are absolutely correct. I was just very confused about one comment in particular and then I obsessed about it. I've been looking at lots of "good" and "bad" shots today (thank you Derrel) and I think I now have a loose grasp.

Finding the right background against which to compose your shot is one of the key elements which seperates the snap-shooters from the photographers. Even with a top-end Sumicron lens producing Bokeh creamier than whole milk, the background will still look like crap if the image isn't well composed.

This is one thing I tried to work on today. It's really hard though! There is "stuff" everywhere. Really smooth beautiful spots with nice subjects...and then some super ugly trash can or streetsign or icky colored car.
So I tried some open natural spaces, and then I have a million bright yellow leaves with sun steaming through and then if my subject is well exposed I have the psychotic blwn out "spctral" stuff.

Maybe I should just take up knitting:lol:
Just try to compose your shots so that you don't have back lighting, try to go for front light (coming from behind you) or side light. If it's still a problem, get a graduated neutral density filter and/or a circular polarizing filter.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom