Book question: Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting

astroNikon

'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm seen from a few members how getting this book would be essential to improving one's knowledge of lighting.

okay, I get that just from my one son's - soccer ball picture. It took me forever just to get what I got through basic experimentation. And I still missed the mark.

My question isn't really the wealth of content or such, but I'm on a shoestring budget and I see that there are 4 revisions of this book.
A 2012, 2007, 1997 & 1990

Is there any improvements from book to book? I ask because I have seen some textbooks where they only update a few things here and there to get a new "updated" publication to improve revenue flow, whilst 99.9999% of the content is the same.

In essence, would I be losing any content purchasing a 2007 book versus the 2012 edition ?
And yes, I probably would be buying used already to save $$

Anyone have a spare one.

I don't know the books themselves but I buy used through abebooks.com, great source and good prices.

Thanks. I found a good used copy of the 2011/2012 version for a low price.

Good book! You won't regret it! ;)

Chasing the Light by Ibarionex Perello helped me a lot. It is a very simple, down to earth, honest book and he basicaly keeps repeating the same thing again and and again again in all chapters, and that was probably exactly what worked with such a dumb person as myself. It will not give you a lot of super-duper secret "pro knowledge", but it will convince you eventually that the light IS important. We all THINK we know the importance of light, but after this book you will KNOW it :D

Well, my post is irrelevant to your question, I did not read you first post properly, sorry.. but, whatever. .. it is a good book.

Chasing the Light by Ibarionex Perello helped me a lot. It is a very simple, down to earth, honest book and he basicaly keeps repeating the same thing again and and again again in all chapters, and that was probably exactly what worked with such a dumb person as myself. It will not give you a lot of super-duper secret "pro knowledge", but it will convince you eventually that the light IS important. We all THINK we know the importance of light, but after this book you will KNOW it :D

Well, my post is irrelevant to your question, I did not read you first post properly, sorry.. but, whatever. .. it is a good book.

That's fine. I'm always open to other readings too. I'll keep an eye out for that one.

The barnes & noble bookstore had *nothing* except good photo books for the coffee table. So it looks like all the snazzy learning books are online.

I do know that last year I bought the one Mastering the Nikon D7000 by Darrell Young
I've read, and reread, and reread sections pieces etc. each time I read it I understand it more, also with experimentation.
No wonder I'm over 10,000 shutters so far.

Now I'm adding flash to stuff.
I've already played with f/22 with a white background and a flash to get just the subject with everything else blacked out ..that was kewl. it's all fun experimentation to understand how to use light better and everything. Alot to learn, and slowly increasing my knowledge making all this photography stuff more enjoyable. I just wish it was cheaper :lol:

Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting is 1/3 about portrait lighting. The other 2/3 explain the fundamentals of photographic lighting.

Getting one of the earlier editions is better than getting none of them.

The easiest and least expensive way to improve the quality of your images is by upgrading the photographer's knowledge base (you).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
And when money is low there is always the library, there books are older usually but the basic fundamentals in a lot of them is still there. I just got laid off again (this makes me a full time pro right) so I went straight to the library and picked up the DAM book. (Digital Asset Management)

And when money is low there is always the library, there books are older usually but the basic fundamentals in a lot of them is still there. I just got laid off again (this makes me a full time pro right) so I went straight to the library and picked up the DAM book. (Digital Asset Management)

Duh, *I* forgot about the library. And I take the kids there all the time, granted we're usually in the kiddie or movie section. The money is always low ... 4 kids .. braces, school, teeth caps, sports, etc.

Best of luck getting back into the full employment/steady paycheck job again.

Don't forget the inter-library loan system, in case your library doesn't have the title you are wanting.

Last edited:
I bought the subject book in both hard copy and digital editions. It was worth the price...twice. :) I keep going back to it repeatedly. I will never learn it all, so having the book is the next best thing. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back