Books on composition

Fox Paw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I ran a search before asking this. Can anyone recommend any good books on composition?

just a general question, but what are you composing?
I am sure there are some good books on general composition - but different types of photography call for differnet compositions - further and more importantly - aquireing those different compositions requires different skills in different situations

Another (cheap) tip is to go the art galleries and photo exhibitions and look at the work of the best people in the areas you are interested in and take note of how they compose their photos

I'm not all that specialized. I've been photographing people, landscapes, still lifes and anything else that grabs me. Maybe there's nothing that general.

I think you're right about observing the work of the best and I've been trying to do that with books.

hmm the "Rule of Thirds" is well voiced as a photography composition standard method - though I admit I don't know much about it.

There are some composition articles here:
http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/adv_comp/adv_comp.htm
as well as a range of other ones that are good reading - informative and easy to understand

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks.

Just ordered Freeman's book from Amazon. I'll look for the others at the library. Thanks to everyone for bothering to respond.

Most reactions

Back