boostin'!

Im not a pro but my thinking is take a look at skiing, skate boarding, boogey boarding pictures taken on the net. Very close to the same kind of photography you wish to do with bmx. You wont get close enough for facial expressions very often but you tell the story by the action of the individual. Is there anyway you can get underneath during a jump, can you get a shot from the bottom as he comes over the top, just enough to get some wall at the bottom of the shot. I see skiers all the time shot as they go over the photography on a jump, you never see the ground but you know what theyre doing.. Just a thought.

I've recently seen your shots and ive noticed you commonly use a straight angle for your bmx shots. In extreme sports shooting its important you play around with angles to add more interest to your pictures.

If you commony shoot in a skatepark and like to take shots of quarter pipe, bowl tricks, and you want to get creative with angles and add more interest to your shots check out this guys work: Shots-Ive-Taken Photo Album - Page 1 - Pinkbike.com

In a skatepark he has many shots where the rider is much more dominant in the shot.

Try it out!

I disagree to what most have said , I personally really like the first pic. I have riden a little bmx myself and also have taken a few pics. If the subject is taken up the whole frame (ie: jumping out of a halfpipe or grinding a rail) all you have is the subject in the air or on the rail and no details to how they got there or what they are doing. I do agree it is nice to be able to see the expression on there face but I would still prefer to see what trick is being completed and how they got there over there expression. Check out the cover of mays ride bmx most of the pic is of the scene. On a side note I am not a professional photographer and this is mainly my opinion!​

In response to mdtusz:

No. Music is about the emotion of both. It would be meaningless if nobody listened. Just as photography is meaningless in no one is looking.

The two are quite related.

In one, the artist captures light waves reflecting off various objects and then present the result to a viewer who then FEELS something....even if it's "this sucks!"

In the other (recorded music) the artist(s) capture sound waves reflecting off various objects and then presents the result to a listener who then FEELS something...even if it's "this sucks!"

Feel how you will, but a true musician is expressing themselves first. Everything else is second. You don't make music because people will listen, you make music because you listen, create yourself, and get into a mood or groove that keeps you coming back to your guitar or trumpet or whatever you may do musically. If you are making music for other people, you're either a romantic or a sellout.

I've recently seen your shots and ive noticed you commonly use a straight angle for your bmx shots. In extreme sports shooting its important you play around with angles to add more interest to your pictures.

If you commony shoot in a skatepark and like to take shots of quarter pipe, bowl tricks, and you want to get creative with angles and add more interest to your shots check out this guys work: Shots-Ive-Taken Photo Album - Page 1 - Pinkbike.com

In a skatepark he has many shots where the rider is much more dominant in the shot.

Try it out!

there u go, those are in the action.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back