minicoop1985

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

Focus by longm1985, on Flickr

Early C12 back by longm1985, on Flickr

Blad the Impaler by longm1985, on Flickr

I was bored after taking some product photos for eBay (nothing interesting) when the thought hit me to try this. Put my ghetto macro setup back together (Olympus E-450 + Oly 40-150 f4-5.6 + Minolta Rokkor 58mm f1.4 reversed and rubber banded to front of Oly lens) and put the 1600f under my "studio" lights (tabletop studio thing). So, how do you guys think I did? Comments/critique definitely welcome. Thanks, guys!

really really nice :)

I should try something like that

Here's the trick: find a lens with a bit of a lip that will hold the second lens in place and prevent it from scratching the main element (most lenses have filter threads-I mean the plastic ring around the front element) and a flange for attaching rubber bands. Take a look at the front of this one, the same one I use:

http://www.leicashop.com/media/cata...78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/9/19116_2.jpg

Then find a lens with a big front element (I like old Minolta stuff for this-my Oly OM 50mm 1.8 is too small) that is slightly smaller than the filter threads (my Minolta lens takes 55mm filters, while the Oly 40-150 takes 58mm filters). The "macro" other lens should fit inside the threads of the lens attached to the camera, like this:

My "urban-engineered" macro setup by longm1985, on Flickr

I know I've posted that a few times before, but now you can see how the Minolta lens fits snugly inside the Olympus lens filter threads. You can also see what I meant about the rubber bands. I do realize there's maybe 3 people out there that still use EVOLT cameras, so I'm posting this as a guide for anyone, relating my experience to everything else. There's a WIDE variety of stuff this could be done with, and all will have unique results. I'm thinking of trying this with my Hassie Ektar 80mm f2.8 to see what happens. Good luck, and make sure to post your results! I'd love to see them. :)

I LIKE the lighting and its drama on the first shot. I like the SUBJECT matter and those old film names on the film reminder dial (how I MISS those things!), but the lighting is flat and without drama; I like the name on the Hasselblad identity plate, but the lighting on it is so-so. I think the first image is the strongest overall, and I LIKE it. The second and third images I think need more "Pop!", more "Pizzazz!", with the second one being the flattest and most uninteresting lighting pattern. I think some heavy processing tweaks in Lightroom would juice the second two up.

Camera worship images are interesting. You home-brewed macro system actually is not too bad--I have seen MUCH worse results. Congratulations on a MacGuyver Award Winner.

Derrel, I totally agree with you about number two. Maybe I'll play with it and turn it into something Warhol-esque (but obviously not Warhol quality because I'm not Andy Warhol). The last one, I do have a bit of a soft spot for. It doesn't pop, but I was going for a more subdued look. However, despite that, I will try some different (read: more) lighting to test your theory, and I might end up agreeing with you after all. As for number one, thanks! I LOVE that shot too.

As for camera worship... um... yeah. About that... I hate saying this, because fanboy-isms drive me nuts, but I think I've become a Hasselblad fanboy. OK, it's probably obvious to everyone else that I have... Not to the exclusion of everything else, of course, but still. I bought an official Hasselblad Astronaut's Photography Manual that's sitting in my display case with both Hassies and my other Hassy book. :confused: I think I have a problem.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back