Botanic Garden Shots..C&C welcome :)

Vudoo4u2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all,

new to the forum here, just picked up my new camera/lenses and was hoping for some feedback, here are some pics from my first shoot with the new gear this weekend...

flower1.jpg

flower3.jpg

flower2.jpg

flower4.jpg

flower6.jpg

flower7.jpg

flower5.jpg

I like the first one.

those look gorgeous...what is the new combo, exactly?

thanks! new combo:

-Canon 5D Mark II
-Canon 24-70 F2.8 L
-Canon 70-200 F 2.8 IS L
-B+W UV MRC slim filter 77mm
-B+W Kaeseman Circular Polarizer MRC slim 77mm
-Manfrotto 190XB/486RC2 Ballhead
-Transcend 16gb 300x udma cf card

:-D

bump for some C&C!

Nice set of images. I like the DOF you're getting with the full frame sensor...nice smooth bokeh.

#1 - Did you shoot this in the portrait orientation too? The right side of the shot is a little too busy. Image could use a touch more saturation, contrast and sharpening. Really like the colors in this one.

#2 - Great shot. Nice DOF. Love the colors. Wish the plant wasn't so centered though.

#3 - Interesting shot. I like how the center of the plant has a lighter, more vibrant shade of green from the outer part.

#4 - Nice B&W conversion. Maybe a little too much contrast. I actually like the color version better.

#5 - Good B&W conversion but I would rather see flowers in color. The tonal range looks really good though.

#6 - My least favorite shot...maybe because I have lots of aloe vera plants growing around my yard.

#7 - Nice DOF. I like the hint of purple in the upper left. Just don't care for the centering of the plant in the frame.

You got some really nice gear...you sure you're supposed to be in the Beginner's Forum?

Thanks for the feedback! I have to say that I agree with virtually every comment! The first shot I plan on cropping because I love the details, and they really come out after cropping (plus the cactus in the far right background makes me mad...but I was in a small greenhouse shooting these indoors handheld haha)

I was experimenting with some bw conversions because I wanted to make a bw photo album/series of prints...I feel as if I've never seen flowers really represented this way and I love the emphasis on form/shading...but we'll see

As far as the beginner forum, I am flattered, but I truly am roughly a beginner :)...self taught for the most part, just got the new gear to try to get the most out if by hobby...been wanting to make large prints with the best iq possible, was lucky enough to save up for the cam/lenses etc. I'm 23, and have never shot professionally, but it's something I'd like to do one day, I'd like to get more consistent and figure out what I like to do with photos...just a hobby or now

Hopefully I can get out this week and take some winter shots, tons of snow here....perfect for the cpol!

Nice set of images. I like the DOF you're getting with the full frame sensor...nice smooth bokeh.

#1 - Did you shoot this in the portrait orientation too? The right side of the shot is a little too busy. Image could use a touch more saturation, contrast and sharpening. Really like the colors in this one.

#2 - Great shot. Nice DOF. Love the colors. Wish the plant wasn't so centered though.

#3 - Interesting shot. I like how the center of the plant has a lighter, more vibrant shade of green from the outer part.

#4 - Nice B&W conversion. Maybe a little too much contrast. I actually like the color version better.

#5 - Good B&W conversion but I would rather see flowers in color. The tonal range looks really good though.

#6 - My least favorite shot...maybe because I have lots of aloe vera plants growing around my yard.

#7 - Nice DOF. I like the hint of purple in the upper left. Just don't care for the centering of the plant in the frame.

You got some really nice gear...you sure you're supposed to be in the Beginner's Forum?

A general posting advice:
You best put TWO spaces between your links, so the photos don't "flow one into the other" here upon showing. And when you post more than say 3 pics in one thread, it is best to number your pics - makes commenting so much easier for the viewers.

As to your photos here: my favourite is the second.
The other sport too shallow a DOF for my liking and leave me feel dizzy, wishing for some further extended clarity on the plants.

A general posting advice:
You best put TWO spaces between your links, so the photos don't "flow one into the other" here upon showing. And when you post more than say 3 pics in one thread, it is best to number your pics - makes commenting so much easier for the viewers.

As to your photos here: my favourite is the second.
The other sport too shallow a DOF for my liking and leave me feel dizzy, wishing for some further extended clarity on the plants.

Understood.

I agree, the DOF is very shallow, but I was toying with it, wanted to see what I could come up with with as little depth as possible. Was a fun exercise :)

Going to take a trip back when the lighting is better, hopefully take some less shallow DOF photos and see what other things I can come up with. For some reason I am fascinated with B&W flower photos, the form does it for me, I just need some good contrasting foreground/background shots to make it worthwhile. Trying to create a series of 12

That other thread has meanwhile been merged with this one.

ha, yeah, wasnt getting any feedback at first...:)

can someone please make it warmer in chicago so I can go outside and take photos?

Most reactions

Back