bracketing...?

through my eyes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok my question is I'm having a hard time with photo shop. Light room seems to be easier. Ok my question how do i combine 3 to 4 photos into one making one great photo? What's the process called? And steps? Thanks

The process is called "High dynamic range" or "HDR". There are a number of specialized applications which simplify the software side of things; Photomatix is one of the most popular. From the photography side, it's simply a matter of shooting a given number of images, at varying exposures. Usually 3-4, 3/4-1 stop apart.

The process is called "High dynamic range" or "HDR". There are a number of specialized applications which simplify the software side of things; Photomatix is one of the most popular. From the photography side, it's simply a matter of shooting a given number of images, at varying exposures. Usually 3-4, 3/4-1 stop apart.
Ok what is masking and bracketing?

Masking is a post-processing term referring to only working with part of an image (usually in conjuntion with layers). You "paint" a mask over the image or part of it and only work with the exposed areas. Bracketing refers to exposing (over and under) additional frames at different exposures to ensure you capture all of the shadow/highlights. Often used in conjunction with HDR.

Photoshop has the same image editing software LR's Develop module has.
In Photoshop it is called Camera Raw.
The version of Camera Raw included with the consumer grade Photoshop Elements has about 1/2 of Camera Raw/LR Develop module tools/capabilites/ functions.

In case you don't yet know what a 'stop' is:
A Stop

A stop is a fundamental photography concept.
A 'stop' is a doubling (2x) or a halving (0.5x) of the amount of light that reaches the recording media be it film or an electronic sensor.
A stop change in exposure can apply to shutter speed, lens aperture, ISO, or all 3.

Since exposure is a triad of adjustments (shutter speed, ISO, lens aperture) you can change 1, 2 or all 3 of the triad settings.
If you want 1 more stop of exposure (brighter) you can adjust just one of the 3 by 1 more stop.
Or, you can change 2 of the 3 by 1/2 more stop each for a net gain of 1 stop of exposure.
Or, you can adjust all 3 by 1/3 more stop for a net gain of 1 stop of exposure.

You can also change the triad of settings and have no change in the exposure.
If you change 1 of the 3 settings by 1 stop more exposure and change a 2nd setting by 1 stop less exposure the net change is zero.

Suppose you subtracted a stop of shutter speed to help stop subject motion, you could add a stop of lens aperture to keep the exposure the same. However, adding a stop of aperture will also affect the total DoF by a small amount. So, if you don't want the DoF to change you would add a stop of ISO instead, however, adding a stop of ISO will increase by some amount the image noise in the photo.

Note: DSLR cameras are set by default to adjust the exposure settings in 1/3 stop increments.
Most DSLR cameras let you change that to 1/2 stop or 1 stop increments.
However, the advantage of 1/3 stop step increments is more precise control of exposure.

Wow I have a lot to learn. Ok so I was on photo shop last night and by complete accident I fixed the photo on all areas to my liking exept one are on the skyline of buildings. By fixing the rest of the photo I made that portion completely black? I know that doesn't give you much but what now? And is there something I can read to help me figure out what I'm doing on there? Thanks to all that reply

For future reference - TPF has a forum for graphics program threads -
Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery

Which release of Photoshop do you have? (Photoshop is a raster graphics editing application. LR Develop module is a parametric editing application designed to compliment Photoshop).

If you have the current monthly subscription that includes both Photoshop CC 2014 and LR 5 I recommend these books:
Adobe Photoshop CC for Photographers, 2014 Release: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC
The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers
Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)
The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop (2nd Edition)
The Digital Print: Preparing Images in Lightroom and Photoshop for Printing

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back