Branching out in the golden hour (practice with my Tam.70-300)

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It was finally warm, and sans wind yesterday here in the mountains, so I ventured out onto the property with the kiddos trying to test the 70-300 Tamron that I haven't had much opportunity to play with. I'm not going to lie, I am unimpressed with the AF at this time, but maybe I just need to learn a bit more about it, and a bit on focusing methods for moving subjects.

Any ways, this frame caught my eye and I thought I would share.

C&C always welcome

25166207112_a9fd1ffc75_c.jpg

This is really beautiful.

It was finally warm, and sans wind yesterday here in the mountains, so I ventured out onto the property with the kiddos trying to test the 70-300 Tamron that I haven't had much opportunity to play with. I'm not going to lie, I am unimpressed with the AF at this time, but maybe I just need to learn a bit more about it, and a bit on focusing methods for moving subjects.

Any ways, this frame caught my eye and I thought I would share.

C&C always welcome

25166207112_a9fd1ffc75_c.jpg

This is very pretty. Great light.

I got that Tamron recently and I found the AF to be pretty good except in low light but definitely takes practice as far as moving objects go. I changed my settings to one's that someone had recommended in another thread (Coastal Conn maybe?) and had much better success. Off the top of my head I think it was AF-C, with single-point dynamic AF using 9 or 21 AF points, f8 and auto ISO.

I would not expect a lens that has a maxim f/value of f/5.6 to be all that peppy of a focuser on moving targets. At longer distances, phase detection autofocusing will be given in-focus and out-of-focus data that's somewhat indistinct, compared against a lens that is giving f/2.8's shallower depth of field, or even f/4's slightly shallower depth of field. The same issue of kind of sluggish focusing also exists with short focal length, slow-aperture wide-angle zoom lenses...the focusing system works by analyzing in-focus or out-of-focus, and moving the lens to correct, but when the subject is "pretty close to decent focus" most of the time, at most focusing distances that are reasonably close to the subject distance, then ACCURACY becomes more of a priority than sheer speed. Lenses that dip into that f/5.6 territory generally do not have blazing autofocusing speed. They also tend not to have high-performance silent wave drive focusing motors either. One reason multi-point AF strategies can work so well with slow lenses like a 70-300 is that the camera's computer brain has MORE DATA to work with, literally more actual,specific, different, discrete "points" of data, to comparatively analyze.

Who wants to know where to go by masking off the entire front windshield of a car, and determining which way to go using one, 4x4 inch square peep-hole? If you want to get a faster, more-dependable lock-on on a kid riding a motorbike, use a cluster of AF points with your slow lenses.

Most reactions

Back