Brand new, need help with lens choices

KristinB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been wanting to get into photography for years and I recently took the plunge and got a Canon Rebel XS. Right now I only have the lens it came with, the 18-55mm. My budget is $400 and here are the finalists:

Either the Canon EF 28-135 mm f/3.5-5.6

OR

Both the EF-S 55-250 f/4.0-5.6 and the 50mm f/1.8

My main concerns are image quality/saturation/sharpness and versatility. (Don't care about plastic, aesthetics or noise) I have been online reading reviews for what seems like hours and am having trouble deciding if the 28-135mm is worth the extra money or if I would be better suited to buy both the 50mm and the 55-250mm since I am literally just learning how to use an SLR camera.

Any advice, thoughts or opinions would be much appreciated. Just please don't tell me to save up to get an "L series"...the camera and this extra $400 for another lens is a big splurge and will not be able to consider a lens in that price range for a very long time, if ever. But I do want to get the best bang for my buck. THANKS!

Welcome to the forum Kristin.

I would suggest that you use the 18-55mm lens for a while and learn to use your camera (and that lens) before you go out and get more lenses. After shooting with that one for a while, you should have a much better idea of where you money is best spent.

If anything, I'd suggest the 50mm F1.8 as one to get right away. The large maximum aperture and good image quality will be a good tool to have in your bag.

Depends on what you're shooting. Do you need speed or reach?

I'd say use what you have and take the time to get a feel for what you want to do.

The crop magnifier on the 50mm 1.8 makes it super sweet for portraiture. Usually portraiture people like something between 70 and 100, and the effective length will be 80mm. I don't know if that's your thing, but if it is it'll be awesome.

You might just want to get the prime only and/or the zoom only. And then go from there. No need to buy TWO lenses when ONE will do the trick. I know you're set on that, but I'm trying to save you money (the opposite of telling you to get an L lens...lol).

Most reactions

Back