What would be more important to you?

Baaaark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lets say you scrape your pennies together to get a camera kit (D40, Rebel XS, A-200, whatever you use). And then you get a couple of hundred bucks. You can either get the zoom telephoto lens (55-200) or you can get a separate flash, and try and become a "strobist."

Which would you rather do? I know this decision is unique for everyone depending on what they like, but I want to hear people's opinions.

The telephoto, because it'll serve one well for use in available light portraits, but I love it more for candids and nature. I'd rather expand my focal ranges a little first, then jump into lighting techniques later (and, that's how I've gone about learning photography myself; still don't have the flash off-camera, but I'd rather learn how to use it on the darn hot shoe with diffusers before I take it off and open up all those other variables).

Flash... I generally find it's one of the very next things you need with any camera setup, but it really depends on what you shoot and what lens you have and how it fits or doesn't fit your needs, etc.

As above, it depends on your needs. I'll give you my experience. I bought a D40 in October, then I got both the 55-200 lens and SB-600 for Christmas. I use the flash much, much more than the 55-200. It makes such a huge difference being able to bounce the flash. And BTW, I recently bought cactus v4's, and I can see that's going to be addicting (if I can only find time to learn).

Either a flash or a 50mm F1.4 or similar large aperture prime lens (35mm F2 etc) in the price range. I have an old 70-210mm lens, and I almost never use it. But as you said, it completely depends on what you're shooting.

You'll have to keep in mind that the flash will only fire on your body unless you have a way to connect it (via wireless trigger or PC cord). So account for the cost of the flash and some wireless triggers (I'd recommend the Cactus V4's). You could get a set of these and a Vivitar 285hv flash for about $150. You can put the extra cash towards an umbrella kit. Lots of bang for the buck here. I have the lens and I honestly don't use it that much. It's a good lens though.

flash...for me, i feel that my creative options with light outweight those by just adding length.

Flash... and learn to use it off camera. Biggest, most liberating thing for my form of photography over any lens that I bought... and I have more than a couple expensive lenses.

Most reactions

Back