Brand new to TPF and photography

eterrisinCYQX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had an interest in photography for a while now-my science teacher pushed me over the edge.

I'm in Newfoundland, way over on the east coast of Canada, and I'm shooting with a JVC Everio hard disk camcorder-I know, I know, get a real camera. But, it's a far cry from my Kodak point-and-shoot, and I wanted the camcorder for a trip later this year. It takes pretty decent shots in more talented hands than mine and the control is enough to get me over my head. (Still, not very hard.)

I also have a couple of old film cameras-pics on request. One I know is a Kodak folder of some sort and another is a Brownie Target Six-20 that I'm desperately trying to find film for.

Now, so that this fits in with the beginner forum, one thing I really don't understand and wish I did is exposure time. Can someone give me a brief explanation?

Had an interest in photography for a while now-my science teacher pushed me over the edge.

I'm in Newfoundland, way over on the east coast of Canada, and I'm shooting with a JVC Everio hard disk camcorder-I know, I know, get a real camera. But, it's a far cry from my Kodak point-and-shoot, and I wanted the camcorder for a trip later this year. It takes pretty decent shots in more talented hands than mine and the control is enough to get me over my head. (Still, not very hard.)

I also have a couple of old film cameras-pics on request. One I know is a Kodak folder of some sort and another is a Brownie Target Six-20 that I'm desperately trying to find film for.

Now, so that this fits in with the beginner forum, one thing I really don't understand and wish I did is exposure time. Can someone give me a brief explanation?

First and foremost, every statement regarding photography should always begin with "If nothing else changes..." With that in mind, here's a mini-education.

Proper exposure of film (sensor) requires a specific amount of light, measured in lumens but it's easier to think in terms of "gallons." "Exposure" is the result of a combination of how far you open the fawcet (aperture) and how long you keep it open (shutter speed). Increase one and decrease the other for the same end result in "exposure" although there are effects other than exposure.

Going just a tad further, if the fawcet is opened so that the gallons of light just barely drip into your bucket (film/sensor), then you'll need to keep the fawcet opened for a very long time, very probably longer than most humans can hold a camera steady. That's but one example of how a change in one characteristic affects others.

By the way, the camera does not take pictures, the photographer does. Granted, lesser cameras have limitations that even Ansel Adams can't overcome (especially since he died twenty years ago) but don't fall into the trap of becoming an equipment collector.

First and foremost, every statement regarding photography should always begin with "If nothing else changes..." With that in mind, here's a mini-education.

Proper exposure of film (sensor) requires a specific amount of light, measured in lumens but it's easier to think in terms of "gallons." "Exposure" is the result of a combination of how far you open the fawcet (aperture) and how long you keep it open (shutter speed). Increase one and decrease the other for the same end result in "exposure" although there are effects other than exposure.

Going just a tad further, if the fawcet is opened so that the gallons of light just barely drip into your bucket (film/sensor), then you'll need to keep the fawcet opened for a very long time, very probably longer than most humans can hold a camera steady. That's but one example of how a change in one characteristic affects others.

By the way, the camera does not take pictures, the photographer does. Granted, lesser cameras have limitations that even Ansel Adams can't overcome (especially since he died twenty years ago) but don't fall into the trap of becoming an equipment collector.

Thanks Socrates. I still have a lot to learn...

As for equipment, I think I'll go with an SLR sometime soon, and that will be it, especially if I can get my Brownie functioning well. Any suggestions as for what I should look for in a camera are welcome too, by the way.

Hopefully I can learn a lot here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back