Breaking away from Total Auto Focus! Need C/C Please!!

My3Boys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have only had my Rebel XT for about a month and after coming here, reading my manual, my Rebel Field Guide, and getting advice from a photog. friend, I'm attempting to break out of full Auto Mode! :) I snapped pictures of my kids and their little friend today and I would greatly appreciate C/C on these shots. Thanks! :)

#1) This was taken inside in the evening. I know it's 'orange' but still wanted feedback on it as to how to avoid that look.
002-35.jpg

#2)
008-15.jpg

#3)
004-27.jpg

#4)
007-23.jpg

#5)
keatonsepia1.jpg

I'm sure some here would not agree, but one thing to try is to meter the shot in full-auto, remember the settings, then go to full-manual mode and start messing with the settings from there. Keep in mind, the cool part is that it doesn't cost you anything to try hundreds of shots.

Take the same shot with multiple shutter speeds and apertures. Change your white balance, etc. Shoot RAW also. Then as you look through the images you can read the data on each shot. It's all about experimenting and learning from your mistakes.

Hope that helps?

Breaking away from total auto focus, or automatic metering modes?

or both?

I'm sure some here would not agree, but one thing to try is to meter the shot in full-auto, remember the settings, then go to full-manual mode and start messing with the settings from there. Keep in mind, the cool part is that it doesn't cost you anything to try hundreds of shots.

Take the same shot with multiple shutter speeds and apertures. Change your white balance, etc. Shoot RAW also. Then as you look through the images you can read the data on each shot. It's all about experimenting and learning from your mistakes.

Hope that helps?

Thanks for your reply. I do think that is a good idea, just so I can even get more familiar with the camera and all the numbers. Thank-you! :)

Breaking away from total auto focus, or automatic metering modes?

or both?

I should have clarified - oops! :) I was using all auto-focus, all auto-everything. Today, I was shooting in P mode, which still does the auto-focus, but I was messing around with the numbers (metering modes?).

Try putting in in M mode after that. P is very similar to auto but gives you a hair more options. M (manual) has you control EVERYTHING.

Keep shooting and use the M, Av and Tv modes.

I think the best way to look at improving your skills is to understand 'why' you use certain settings rather than the 'how to' method.

I can't recommend this book enough for beginners and I go back and refer to it from time to time (because I'm not very good). Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

Thanks for all your replies...today I'm going with M mode!!! :)

Practice, practice, and more practice! Just mess with the settings, it's actually easier to start out with a stationary object to learn which settings work, as it can take a lot of time. I started manual a few months ago and I never use auto anymore.

Nothing wrong with auto focus...as long as you are aware of what it is focusing on.

Auto exposure modes, are something completely different from auto/manual focus.

You will get the same results at 1/250 and F8...whether you are in manual or auto exposure...so switching to manual won't make your photos any better. Using manual is just a way to keep your exposure settings from being messed up from what the camera sees.

I suggest starting out with Av & Tv modes. That way, you can choose the setting that is most important and the camera will help you with the other one.

In auto (P) or AV or Tv...you can still use EC (exposure compensation) to change the exposure away from the meter...so it's pretty much the same as using full manual mode...but a little easier to learn.

:D Big Thanks for all the advice - as you can tell - I'm really a novice! Enthusiasic, but a novice notheless. I am going to photograph some still objects or flowers and experiment in the M mode.

:D Big Thanks for all the advice - as you can tell - I'm really a novice! Enthusiasic, but a novice notheless. I am going to photograph some still objects or flowers and experiment in the M mode.

Your camera will have a onboard light meter, Its the exposure bar that you adjusted when using the P mode. What you do in manual is you adjust your shutter speed and aperture so that that bar is at 0. There are like 6 different combinations to achieve the same exposure. but with varying depths of field.

I would suggest not worrying about autofocus if you are still on the kit lens. They aren't the best for manual focusing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back