Bridal

The cutting into the dress was merely one of the problems with this image. The fact that it was accepted into your PPA 'club' as Master image only reinforces my reasons for not joining your little club.
It appears we have different standards for our careers.
Speaking only for myself, the 10 year process of study and learning has been invaluable in creating a lifestyle my parents never enjoyed.
If you don't see the value of the education of the program or the time and effort in creating an acceptable merit print, I'll agree with you that the program probably isn't for you.
It's a daunting, time consuming process. Not everyone has the desire, determination or time it takes to complete it.
I'd certainly fault no one for choosing not to do it.

For the record, you can't "join" the General Collection or simply sign up. The rank and accolades must be earned, and the standards are extremely high. Average time to accomplish the standard of Master is right around 7-9 years.
Study is intense, judging is extremely harsh.
The program isn't about achieving a particular rank, it's about making yourself a better photographer. Some see the value in the program, and some don't. Again, I'd certainly fault no one for choosing not to do it.

Look, I saw what you were doing when you joined this forum. You posted a lot of images that were already judged in your 'club' as 'merit' type images. I just wasn't sure why.
What reason would that be George?
Not sure, yet.
You should have no trouble scoring merits.
Would you mind posting some of them?
With pleasure...I'm editing some of my 'best of 2011 shots' right now. Should have a thread up in the next day or so. Spoiler alert: there may be a few clipped dresses...just sayin'.
If your 17 judges couldn't see those issues, I question why they are masters or judges...
Why not ask them?
DPPA meet once a month at the Hickory Street Annex, right there in Downtown Dallas.
Several of PPA's best judges are right there in your own backyard.
The judging is rigged. You are also a member of the judging panel if I recall correctly. I'm sure you sitting right next to the other judges has nothing to do with how your images are judged...;)

Look, I like most of your work. Some of it is inspiring and extraordinary...this one just isn't in the same ball park, IMO.

Last edited:
I agree the shot is pretty average at best. While I know it's hard to control color in a wedding dress, there's definitely too much here. And this business about how the cut-off dress is subject to aesthetic debate is pure nonsense. You accidentally cut it off and it looks worse than it would if you hadn't. It's not the end of the world but the least you can do is own up to the mistake. If you would honestly say that given the choice, you would not re-shoot in order to fix it, then you should refrain from giving other people advice. You shouldn't be so hypocritical as to ask others to set aside their egos when you judge their work if you're going to make ridiculous, petty excuses about your own.

The judging is rigged. You are also a member of the judging panel if I recall correctly. I'm sure you sitting right next to the other judges has nothing to do with how your images are judged...;)

Strong words.
I'll assume its unfamiliarity with the process talking.

Competition print judges, affiliated or not, are not allowed to judge their own work.
Matter of fact, a judge must recuse themselves if they have seen the image before, know the maker, or are affiliated with the work in any way.
Images are not marked in any way.

Fudging the rules, even once, will result in a judge permanently losing his affiliate-ship.

No, it is not rigged.

I'm editing some of my 'best of 2011 shots' right now.
If they are your "best of" why are they in your recycle bin?

Withdrawn, post made while in a bad mood. I apologize, I should not have posted this comment.

Last edited:
You accidentally cut it off and it looks worse than it would if you hadn't. It's not the end of the world but the least you can do is own up to the mistake. If you would honestly say that given the choice, you would not re-shoot in order to fix it, then you should refrain from giving other people advice. You shouldn't be so hypocritical as to ask others to set aside their egos when you judge their work if you're going to make ridiculous, petty excuses about your own.

As stated earlier, We're confusing opinion with technical correctness.
I carefully plan every aspect of the image, and composition was not a mistake.
I composed and captured the image as is. It was part of my overall body of work submitted to 3 panels of Master Judges who accepted it into the PPA General Collection, and help me achieve Master myself.

You accidentally cut it off and it looks worse than it would if you hadn't. It's not the end of the world but the least you can do is own up to the mistake. If you would honestly say that given the choice, you would not re-shoot in order to fix it, then you should refrain from giving other people advice. You shouldn't be so hypocritical as to ask others to set aside their egos when you judge their work if you're going to make ridiculous, petty excuses about your own.

As stated earlier, I think we're confusing opinion with technical correctness.
I carefully plan every aspect of the image, and composition was not a mistake.
I composed and captured the image as is. It was part of my overall body of work submitted to 3 panels of Master Judges who accepted it into the PPA General Collection, and help me achieve Master myself.

Say what you like but it's patently obvious how defensive you're being about your mistakes. If you succeed in convincing anyone that there are no errors in the photo, I hope it's only yourself.

And I should add that "we" are not confusing anything. You are intentionally confusing the two in order to make it seem like there's some ambiguity about whether there are problems with the shot.

Strong words.
I'll assume its unfamiliarity with the process talking.

Competition print judges, affiliated or not, are not allowed to judge their own work.
Matter of fact, a judge must recuse themselves if they have seen the image before, know the maker, or are affiliated with the work in any way.
Images are not marked in any way.

Fudging the rules, even once, will result in a judge permanently losing his affiliate-ship.

No, it is not rigged.
I know that, also. I also know how obvious it is when a judge recuses himself from judging an image. It's not unfamiliarity talking. It's reality. The other judges watch you obviously not judge an image. Anyone with half a brain could figure out why.
I'm editing some of my 'best of 2011 shots' right now.
If they are your "best of" why are they in your recycle bin?
My 'best of' are not in the recycle bin...my shots similar to this one are.

Mark, look, the only people who think this is a great image seem to be your fellow judges...there is something to be learned here if you were willing to take a step back and look at it objectively.

But then again, you don't care about our opinion because 17 of your fellow judges liked it...Again, I'm not even sure why you posted it here. Obviously, your mind is already made up on it.

Again, nothing against you. You produce some fabulous work. This just isn't an example of it.

Remarkably average, and for you, below standards.

As for the 'masters' with all the letters after their names, i've never been a fan - i'd never consider I know enough about this fantastic artform to call myself a master, and i've been doing it professionally for 20+ years. Student? yes, disciple? possibly, master? never on this earth...

I have some letters before and after my name...mostly referring to Nuclear Engineering. As far as photography goes, I have a long ways to go before I approach what Mark or many others are capable of. I've seen some of his shots that took my breath away. Truly amazing.

I missed the meaning of this statement earlier.
That would be incorrect. I was on the SPPPA panel that judged it, (I recused) but not TPPA or SWPPA panels.
I wasn't even in attendance.

If you succeed in convincing anyone that there are no errors in the photo, I hope it's only yourself.
No.
I was able to hypnotize 3 panels of judges in three different cities into overlooking the cropped dress. LOL

Last edited:
No.
I was able to hypnotize 3 panels of judges in three different cities into overlooking the cropped dress. LOL

Apparently. Perhaps should become a professional hypnotist instead.

As you should know, judges are not necessarily looking for perfection. Errors are allowed in any one piece or body of work, just like professional pianists are permitted to miss some notes here and there even in otherwise magnificent performances. Your problem is that you refuse to admit the mistake is there at all.

Mark I am calling you the Winner of the contest due to the lack of effort on everyone else's part.

Most reactions

Back