Bridal

Alpha,
Would you mind posting a link to your website?
He doesn't need to post a link to his website. His work has nothing to do with the issues in your image. At this point, you are just deflecting and it's just pathetic.

Honestly, I expected more from you.

Disagree. X gets the square.

Haven't you already whipped it out and measured it for all to see enough times in your signature and elsewhere? Do you really hope to prove that you don't make any mistakes because you're the "better" photographer? What kind of "master" has so little humility?

You guys are ridiculous, you know that? You are acting like jealous fools. And juveniles.

what what. Ridiculous is my middle name. May we see your website, please? I'm going to need to see some credentials.

Last edited:
You accidentally cut it off and it looks worse than it would if you hadn't. It's not the end of the world but the least you can do is own up to the mistake. If you would honestly say that given the choice, you would not re-shoot in order to fix it, then you should refrain from giving other people advice. You shouldn't be so hypocritical as to ask others to set aside their egos when you judge their work if you're going to make ridiculous, petty excuses about your own.

As stated earlier, We're confusing opinion with technical correctness.
I carefully plan every aspect of the image, and composition was not a mistake.
I composed and captured the image as is. It was part of my overall body of work submitted to 3 panels of Master Judges who accepted it into the PPA General Collection, and help me achieve Master myself.

No Mark, sorry, but we're not - it was your opinion that the shot looked better with the dress cut off - it's mine and others opinion that it would look better with it NOT cut off - that's got nothing to do with technical correctness. Again, the whole masters thing doesn't mean anything at the end of the day - what counts is whether you and your client are as happy as you possibly could be with the end result. All some of us are saying is this isn't an example of your best work, that's all.

He doesn't need to post a link to his website.
He certainly doesn't.
But he reacted just as I expected him to.
I knew he'd be unable, unwilling, or both.

A keyboard and mouse has made many a forum troll an expert.

... and any of us can have any number of letters after our name, letters mean absolutely nothing, and certainly don't make someone an expert - your comment was uncalled for Mark, and frankly i'd expected more of you.

As for the 'masters' with all the letters after their names, i've never been a fan - i'd never consider I know enough about this fantastic artform to call myself a master, and i've been doing it professionally for 20+ years. Student? yes, disciple? possibly, master? never on this earth...

I have some letters before and after my name...mostly referring to Nuclear Engineering. As far as photography goes, I have a long ways to go before I approach what Mark or many others are capable of. I've seen some of his shots that took my breath away. Truly amazing.

I don't doubt it Kerbs, I too am genuinely impressed with a great deal of his work, but for me this one isn't one of his best, irrespective of whether or not it's been judged a winner.

No Mark, sorry, but we're not - it was your opinion that the shot looked better with the dress cut off

You've seem to have misquoted me.
I never said the image looked better with the image cut off.
What I did say was that cutting it off wasn't as taboo as it used to be, and that it's ok to do so.
Several Master Judges agreed, placing the image into the PPA General Collection.

In a nutshell, it's a matter of varying opinions. But that is different from technical correctness.

I'm not saying the image is good, bad, mediocre....I simply do not know.
But cutting off the dress doesn't make it technically incorrect.

... and any of us can have any number of letters after our name, letters mean absolutely nothing, and certainly don't make someone an expert - your comment was uncalled for Mark, and frankly i'd expected more of you.
Seems we'll have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
No Mark, sorry, but we're not - it was your opinion that the shot looked better with the dress cut off

You've seem to have misquoted me.
I'm not saying the image is good, bad, mediocre....I simply do not know.
But cutting off the dress doesn't make it technically incorrect.

Seems we'll have to agree to disagree.

It seemed from your quote that you were saying that because you had planned the shot meticulously - which I fully accept - that this was the correct way to capture it, and that not cutting it would have produced a somehow inferior (technically) image, which would palpably be nonsense. If on the other hand you meant that as your composition was as you intended it the shot is therefore technically correct then yes, you are quite correct.

As far as the 2nd quote of mine you've used above I note you've not included the specific comments you made about forum trolls (your words) becoming wannabe experts. Since you say we'll have to 'agree to disagree' does that mean you are honestly saying that having a few letters after your name makes you in any way an expert? If that is indeed the case then I wish you well, but I will be more than happy continuing as a non-expert...

He doesn't need to post a link to his website.
He certainly doesn't.
But he reacted just as I expected him to.
I knew he'd be unable, unwilling, or both.

A keyboard and mouse has made many a forum troll an expert.

Pretty lame shot you took at Kerbouchard, Mark. I am frankly quite surprised that that image is "master" level, on multiple levels. The cropping is jarring, and the pose is "incomplete". The image also appears off-key. What time was it shot at? It looks like it was shot a half an hour before sunset. it's a pretty journeyman-looking effort, and yet you keep trying to convince us it is a "master-level" image. Hardly. Journeyman-like is more like it. I know master-level posing and photography when I see it--and that cut-off,off-key, heavily-vignetted wedding snap is clearly not "master" level work to me. It's just simply NOT, no matter how much you try and convince us that it is. No way.

"Newbie PPA judges have made many a journeyman a master."

If on the other hand you meant that as your composition was as you intended it the shot is therefore technically correct then yes, you are quite correct.
I believe I said that more than once in this thread.

As far as the 2nd quote of mine you've used above I note you've not included the specific comments you made about forum trolls (your words) becoming wannabe experts. Since you say we'll have to 'agree to disagree' does that mean you are honestly saying that having a few letters after your name makes you in any way an expert? If that is indeed the case then I wish you well, but I will be more than happy continuing as a non-expert...
I only quoted the parts I was addressing directly. Common practice in online forums.

Yes, I aimed that earlier troll comment at Alpha, just as he claims to be in his avatar.
I didn't call him anything he wasn't calling himself.
I've seen the type before. Brash and argumentative, yet hide behind anonymity.
I called him out by asking for a link to his website, which I already certain he couldn't have provided.
If your going to make some bold statements, be prepared to be called on it.

As far as the letters behind my name...
This is my photographic education, which is extremely extensive.
It is no reflection on anyone that doesn't have the same education. As a matter of fact, I stated early on that I was not implying that George didn't know what he was talking about.
As far as being an expert,....I don't feel letters behind your name makes you an expert. I think experience does that.

Pretty lame shot you took at Kerbouchard, Mark.
Comment wasn't aimed at George. It was aimed at Alpha.

"Newbie PPA judges have made many a journeyman a master."
There's no such thing.
The road to become a PPA Judge is over 10 years. Hardly what I'd call a newbie

clearly not "master" level work to me. It's just simply NOT, no matter how much you try and convince us that it is. No way.
I'm not trying to convince you of anything.
Matter of fact, I clearly stated above that I don't know if the image is good, bad or mediocre.
What I did say was that it resides in the PPA General Collection.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back