Bride drowns taking wedding photos.

I saw a news brief showing a few seconds of an interview with the photographer, he was pretty shaken up. I feel bad for the woman and her family, but I can empathize with the photographer...it would be hard to continue shooting brides after that.

I don't think this type of thing happens often. I wouldn't change anything I do based on one occurrence (unless there's a severely high liklihood to repeat).

No, something of this nature rarely happens, and there would be an astronomically-low chance of it ever occurring to the same photographer again. But the trauma of this sort of event may prevent the photographer from ever being able to shoot brides again.

When I was about 17 years old, maybe even still 16, I hit a little girl who ran out in the street. Fortunately, it only broke her leg--it didn't kill her. And I wasn't even cited--the little girl ran out from behind a parked car on the side street, and literally ran into the side of my moving vehicle. It's very fortunate that I was driving well under the speed limit. Now, the chance of that ever happening again in my lifetime is slim to none. But i can tell you that it forever changed how I drive as I approach cars parked in the street. To this day, some 35 years later, the emotions of that event can still come right back when I see cars parked along the street, especially if there are any kids around.

It's not the likelihood of having another tragedy happen that may prevent him from shooting brides again, but his own vivid memories of the trauma.

I saw a news brief showing a few seconds of an interview with the photographer, he was pretty shaken up. I feel bad for the woman and her family, but I can empathize with the photographer...it would be hard to continue shooting brides after that.

I don't think this type of thing happens often. I wouldn't change anything I do based on one occurrence (unless there's a severely high liklihood to repeat).

No, something of this nature rarely happens, and there would be an astronomically-low chance of it ever occurring to the same photographer again. But the trauma of this sort of event may prevent the photographer from ever being able to shoot brides again.

When I was about 17 years old, maybe even still 16, I hit a little girl who ran out in the street. Fortunately, it only broke her leg--it didn't kill her. And I wasn't even cited--the little girl ran out from behind a parked car on the side street, and literally ran into the side of my moving vehicle. It's very fortunate that I was driving well under the speed limit. Now, the chance of that ever happening again in my lifetime is slim to none. But i can tell you that it forever changed how I drive as I approach cars parked in the street. To this day, some 35 years later, the emotions of that event can still come right back when I see cars parked along the street, especially if there are any kids around.

It's not the likelihood of having another tragedy happen that may prevent him from shooting brides again, but his own vivid memories of the trauma.

Eh, to each their own I guess.

I was ripped apart by a dog when I was 4.. I'm not talking about bitten once. I'm talking at one point you could count over 400 scars on my back from the event. It hasn't affected me at all. Must be an individual thing. I'm not trying to down play it/the trauma. I'm just saying I wouldnt change a thing based off it.

Of course, this was a rare occurrence and could be called a freak accident...even though, with retrospect, a wedding dress in a running river doesn't sound like a good idea.

I just mean that as a photographer, I can see how some people would find it very hard to forget the sight of watching a bride be swept away to their death. The thought might always be in his mind, especially when photographing any other bride. And having that 'baggage', might affect him in any number of ways. Some people could do it, some couldn't.

Of course, this was a rare occurrence and could be called a freak accident...even though, with retrospect, a wedding dress in a running river doesn't sound like a good idea.

I just mean that as a photographer, I can see how some people would find it very hard to forget the sight of watching a bride be swept away to their death. The thought might always be in his mind, especially when photographing any other bride. And having that 'baggage', might affect him in any number of ways. Some people could do it, some couldn't.

I agree. I wasn't trying to cause any issue/argument. Just puttin' in my 2 cents.

Accidents have a major impact regardless of responsibility. A good friend of mine was a truck driver and was involved in an accident that caused loss of life. He was stopped at a red light at the time of impact when his trailer was struck by a convertible traveling approximately 70mph. You can't fault a driver stopped at a red light for being hit by an intoxicated driver, but that didn't stop the accident from causing some major damage to my friend emotionally. Unfortunately this photographer will spend the rest of his life questioning himself and what he could have done differently to keep this from happening.

God. I thought this was the same story I read a few days ago. Not a good month for brides :(.

Photographers need to take it upon themselves to draw the line where matters of safety are concerned. A small rope harnessing her or some extra men on the side could've saved the bride in the OP. Not getting so close to the edge could've saved this bride.

Canadian bride-to-be plunges over falls during photo shoot

God. I thought this was the same story I read a few days ago. Not a good month for brides :(.

Photographers need to take it upon themselves to draw the line where matters of safety are concerned. A small rope harnessing her or some extra men on the side could've saved the bride in the OP. Not getting so close to the edge could've saved this bride.

This is the same story. The first reports were that she was at or near Dorwin Falls, but later reports corrected that to say they were in a different section of the same river and she was on a sandbar. Apparently the same place is used often for photos. In this case, the dress was large and heavy, she was small, and when she moved away to deeper water, the dress sank, pulling her down with it.

This is the same story. The first reports were that she was at or near Dorwin Falls, but later reports corrected that to say they were in a different section of the same river and she was on a sandbar. Apparently the same place is used often for photos. In this case, the dress was large and heavy, she was small, and when she moved away to deeper water, the dress sank, pulling her down with it.

Ok! Struck me as very strange that 2 of these would happen in such a short period, so that makes sense!

Most reactions

Back