Can't you use Curves in photoshop to bring out the eyes more? I am new to photoshop but have read some stuff about that in terms of color tweaking. So far, I find the easiest technique ( and most useful across the board, not just with eyes and portraits ) is learning to dodge and burn.
You can non-destructively Dodge and Burn in photoshop by doing the following. Open two new layers, name one BURN and one DODGE, set them both to gray-overlay. Use a brush with the hardness turned down so that you can make very gradual changes. ( this will also make it less noticeable if you occasionally are off target with a few moves of the mouse ) Use Black brush on DODGE to darken things and use White brush on BURN to lighten things. You can also raise or lower the transparency of each layer to fine tune the effect as well. I am sure that other seasoned PS users can add to this, but as a newb, I can tell you that its fairly easy to get the hang of.