broke it :(

oh yeah, and i learned the hard way while working on a project this semester, its best not to try and glue something 3 hours before you use it... wait 24

Before you do anything the the flash, hold it on the hot shoe and make sure it still works when you take pictures.

You could take it to a camera shop or email that picture to canon and see if they can do a repair.

But I'm cheap and a DIYer so personally I would go the epoxy route. I like JB weld a lot, but it does require 15-16 hours to cure, so you could try a faster setting product if you like. Put a bit inside the crack and spread over the crack on the top and bottom; don't worry about getting to much on there, because you can smooth it after it dries with a small file and some sandpaper.

It cannot really hurt to try and fix it yourself first, because if you do have it repaired canon will replace the whole bottom piece anyway.

Good Luck,
-Ryan

If you originally paid for the camera/speedlight with your credit card, check with the bank. Some credit cards automatically provide limited insurance for the things you buy.

Hi Emerana,

I personally wouldn't try to glue this. If it were some structural damage to the body of the flash yes, but that, that is the support for the flash itself. If glue it, it would just break again shortly after. The rest of your flash will act as a wrench and break it off again no matter how you fix it.

No, I would be thinking about a brand new hot shoe for you, possibly one from a cheap/dead flash - those should be cheap if you can locate one. The idea to send the flash to Canon is a good one in my opinion, whatever they charge you would be worth it as long as it is significantly less than a new flash. With some luck you might get your credit card company to either pay for the repair or pay for a new one (I have never used services like that, I am not sure how they operate).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back