Broken D60 kit lens - I think I've decided, now what am I missing

oneluvmama

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone!

So, my toddler yanked my D60 off of the counter and the plastic connections on my 18-55 kit lens snapped off. I have been using my point and shoot canon and my phone camera for nearly a year trying to decide on a replacement. I am so sick of the poor photos. My subjects are constantly on the move. I need to get a new lens NOW! My budget is tight. I want to spend around 200$. I will be taking some travel photos, but mostly want a fast lens for catching indoor and outdoor shots of my three girls under 6 years old. Portraits, family group shots, playing outside, etc.

I have considered just replacing the 18-55 VR kit lens, but I was only "mostly" happy with it. It didn't give me a fast enough shutter speed for catching the moving kids indoors without a flash. My research has lead me to the Nikkor 35mm 1.8 AF-S. I'm just worried that I will miss the zoom option. Should I be looking at a budget non-nikkor zoom lens instead, and then get the prime later? Is there a lens that I should be saving up a little more for? I can bump the budget up to 400-500 in a few months. I think that I will enjoy the lowlight capabilities of a prime lens more than anything else, but I've never shot with a fixed focal length before and I'm nervous!

Advice?? I just want to start taking real pictures again! Thanks so much in advance! ~ Jen

Well, others know a whole lot more about the best lens options than I do, but:

I'd say since it is the difference between using your D60 again or continuing to use the point-and-shoot, sure, go for the 35mm f/1.8. Or a 50mm f/1.8.
Sounds like you're mostly shooting your kids (Lord knows I wanted to shoot mine once in a while, :lol: --sorry, couldn't resist), so I'd think at some point you're going to want one of those two fixed focal length lenses anyway--might as well start with that. Manual zoom (that is, walking toward or away from your subject) isn't really THAT hard, usually. Granted, sometimes manual zoom just doesn't cut it--so once you have the 35 or 50, start saving money, and keeping track of how often you can't get as close as you'd like versus how often you can't get as far away as you'd like. That will help you decide whether the next lens should be a longer reach, like 70-300, or maybe a wide angle.

That's my 1.75 cents' worth.

I have the 35 and can tell you I don't really miss the zoom. I've had a 50 mm 1.8 too, which was a great lens but a bit too long to shoot in the house. You'll love the 35.

For your budget and needs, the Nikon 35mm would probably be your best option. Like you said, replacing the 18-55 (or going to a 18-105 VR) would give you zoom and VR but not the shutter speed you need to freeze your kids in lowlight (especially with a D60's ISO performance). If you're willing to wait though, getting a Sigma 17-50 OS in a couple months would be the best "compromise" I think as it is a constant 2.8 aperture and has OS (which is Sigma's version of VR). You could also try the Tamron 17-50 - which would be cheaper - but I've heard to many mixed reviews to recommend them.

Personally, I only use zoom lenses when I have to. i.e. events, weddings... any place that my God-given zoom (aka my feet) couldn't move fast enough! The quality of the 35mm will be much better then what you got with the 18-55 zoom. If you have a passion for photography, the 35 will also help you advance because it makes you think about your composition as well as learn how to better perceive where you subject will go (not to mention you will have more control over your depth of field and better low-light shooting/focusing). With that said though, for young kids (ex: toddlers that could move quickly but not take instructions), I personally had to get a zoom as I just couldn't keep up with them with my prime lens.

Thanks everyone! Very helpful! Yes, I am also interested in the composition, exposure, and boken lessons that a prime can help me learn! I will def. consider the Sigma lens as well! Maybe I want both?? :)

I've bought the 35mm f/1.8 three times... and ended up selling it each time.

Think about your kids running around being goofy. How close are you going to have to be to get the picture you want? For me 35mm doesn't cut it. I'm much happier with a 50mm on my camera.

Having said all that... I would spend $200 and get a used 18-105VR. A f/1.8 prime isn't going to solve your problems and may even create a few (At 6' away and f/1.8.. you will only have 6" of DOF to work with.. Thats a small focus slice on a 6 year old kid running around).

Just my .0002c.

Most reactions

Back