Bronica SQ-AM film transport/motor overload problems

hdc101

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Guys,

I am new to medium format photography. I have just purchased a SQ-AM, it's a great camera but I am having a problem with it that seems to be getting worse the more I use the camera.

When I take a photo the camera struggles to wind on to the next frame, which results in the LED warning light to switch on. In the manual it states that turning the camera on and off will remedy the problem, in my experience it has, though only until I shoot again. Which is annoying as I don't want to faff around turning the camera on and off between shots all the time.

I examined the 6x6 back and found the top light seal had perished. I assumed that the film was sticking to this and have replaced it. However the problem still persists. I recently lost the final frames of a roll of film as the winder could not complete its cycle and left the camera in a mirror lock up state. Turning on and off, and activating the winder did nothing to resolve the problem. In the end I had to manually wind through the final frames of the roll so I could safely remove it from the back.

Has anyone had this experience before? I am unsure if it is a problem with the back or the camera body itself. Without film in the camera fires and winds on fine. I have put 3 rolls of film though on fresh batteries.

Cheers,
H.

Hi Guys,

I am new to medium format photography. I have just purchased a SQ-AM, it's a great camera but I am having a problem with it that seems to be getting worse the more I use the camera.

When I take a photo the camera struggles to wind on to the next frame, which results in the LED warning light to switch on. In the manual it states that turning the camera on and off will remedy the problem, in my experience it has, though only until I shoot again. Which is annoying as I don't want to faff around turning the camera on and off between shots all the time.

I examined the 6x6 back and found the top light seal had perished. I assumed that the film was sticking to this and have replaced it. However the problem still persists. I recently lost the final frames of a roll of film as the winder could not complete its cycle and left the camera in a mirror lock up state. Turning on and off, and activating the winder did nothing to resolve the problem. In the end I had to manually wind through the final frames of the roll so I could safely remove it from the back.

Has anyone had this experience before? I am unsure if it is a problem with the back or the camera body itself. Without film in the camera fires and winds on fine. I have put 3 rolls of film though on fresh batteries.

Cheers,
H.

Any chance of returning the camera? One reason SQ-AMs are ofren cheap is the lack of any winding alternative to the motor if it's sick or dead. I'd re-check your insert for anything that might be gumming up the works. Do you have another back/insert?

Are you using alkaline batteries in it, with the appropriate voltage? Or using modern,lower voltage rechargeables which don't tally up to the needed voltage?

Cheers for the replies, guys.

Any chance of returning the camera? One reason SQ-AMs are ofren cheap is the lack of any winding alternative to the motor if it's sick or dead. I'd re-check your insert for anything that might be gumming up the works. Do you have another back/insert?

No other back to test I am afraid. However camera was sold with a three month warranty so a return is on the cards.

Are you using alkaline batteries in it, with the appropriate voltage? Or using modern,lower voltage rechargeables which don't tally up to the needed voltage?

I am using 1.5v Alkaline batteries that were put in by the store when I purchased the camera. I read somewhere about Ni-Cd batteries were better, am I right?

I have an SQ-AM, and I have only ever used it with Alkalines. I have never tried Ni-Cads in it, nor any of the other,newer rechargeables. I know a lot of rechargeables are only 1.2 volts, not 1.5. With ANY mechanical device, I've always considered the battery source to be one of the first areas to check. If "the store" put batteries in the camera, there's a good chance it was a set of batteries that had already been used, or a mis-matched set, or a set in which at least one of the batteries has a good chance of being weaker than it ought to be. Hey...I used to work at a camera store...I know how it goes. So, my question would be, "Have you tried a set of BRAND-NEW batteries in the camera?"

Ah yes, I understand. I will get some new quality batteries and see how the camera gets on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back