Brother Printers ?

I think most people avoid laser printer for doing photo's. I've never seen a photo off of one so don't know. What I do know is there are a lot of ink jet printer's made to produce photographs and that's what i get. I am predjudice for Canon printers as I've had really good luck with them. have a nephew that uses Epson printer's. probably do as good a job but my one Epson printer really bummed me out. Tripped over the cord while it was running and turned it off. Never could get it to start again. Had a 13" HP and it printed out very nice photo's but was noisy as could be and gave up the ghost in a couple years. have a 13" c
Canon now and it's quiet and been usint it 6 or 7 years without a problem, love it. Can print up to 13"x38" with it and have been doing 12x24 and love them. Have a 12x36 I did with my old HP 13" years ago and still good to go! Have a Canon iP 100 for smaller photo's, could do them on my 13" but then wouldn't have an excuse for my iP 100! The iP 100 I've done up to 8x16 on and they come out fine!

For myself from what I've read about lazer printer's I would not get one for printing photo's. I'd stick to ink jet's, they are made for printing hoto's. Even those all in one ink ets I'm assuming are better at photo's. My first photo printer was just an ink et printer, HP of some kind. Did good job up to 8 1/2x11 but that was it! had that first one break down on me at a field trial for pointing dogs. Had my 13" Canon with me but I can be pretty stupid about some things and needed an 8" printer I figured. Went to the local Bi Mart and got a $40 Canon 8" printer and it did a better job than I thought it would.

Bottom line for me is get equipment designed to do what you want to do. If you want to try a laser, go for it just don't spend more than you have to right away. That $40 Canon I got, did 4x6 to 8x10 as well as any printer I ever had and didn't have to replace as many ink cartridges. what it lacked over the more costly printer was life span. It led to my iP 100 going something like close to 6 yrs now and running fine.

Jeff,

With regard to the Brother printer, does the use of glossy photo paper yield a "decent" photo quality?

Marc

Jeff,

With regard to the Brother printer, does the use of glossy photo paper yield a "decent" photo quality?

Marc
I have not tried that yet, but "I've been meaning to..." for a bit now. :) Guess I should give it a go sooner than later.

Here is what I can find, and what I will try maybe this next week, if I remember to get some glossy photo quality paper.

To print good quality photos on your Brother HL-3180CD color laser printer, you can try the following steps:

1. Use high-quality photo paper that is compatible with your printer.
  2. Make sure that the printer is set to its highest resolution setting.
  3. Adjust the color settings in the printer driver to get the best possible color reproduction.
  4. Calibrate your printer to ensure that it is producing accurate colors.

Last edited:
Don’t have a Brother but work has many HP and Sharp business class color laser printers. I’ve never gotten a print I like from them. My Cannon Pro ink jet beats them by a mile.

Laser printers do not do glossy photos the way inkjets do. The paper might be glossy, but the toner isn't. Maybe you can get glossy toner, I don't know, but the toner doesn't even adhere to glossy paper very well, from what I remember of my attempts. It's been a while, but the trials I made told me it wasn't gonna work, period.

Most reactions

Back