What's new

Budget Lighting Kit

Joined
Jan 24, 2014
Messages
1,593
Reaction score
2,274
Location
大田, South Korea
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All,

I have some cash to invest in photography. I don't want to pay for shipping. Additionally, I can only use the money in my Pay Pal Account. Therefore, I have decided to make a budget studio using stuff from China, since it is free shipping. I have a backdrop and stands already. The primary reasons for buying this are: Portraits and experiments. Is this a good start for studio/experiments stuff? Suggestions?

So far, I have put together:
1 [FONT=&quot]160w Studio Strobe[/FONT]
2 Translucent Umbrellas.
1 Mini Portable Diffuser for my YN 560 flash
1 Octagon Softbox that doubles as a silver reflector.
Wireless Flash trigger and receivers
 
Hello All, I have some cash to invest in photography. I don't want to pay for shipping. Additionally, I can only use the money in my Pay Pal Account. Therefore, I have decided to make a budget studio using stuff from China, since it is free shipping. I have a backdrop and stands already. The primary reasons for buying this are: Portraits and experiments. Is this a good start for studio/experiments stuff? Suggestions? So far, I have put together: 1 160w Studio Strobe 2 Translucent Umbrellas. 1 Mini Portable Diffuser for my YN 560 flash 1 Octagon Softbox that doubles as a silver reflector. Wireless Flash trigger and receivers

You always pay for shipping- they just build it into the price instead of charge separately and call it "free shipping"

MIC is never the way to go. I made the same mistake as you and got my first kit from china. They quality was terrible. The lights fall over constantly. They literally fell to pieces with light use. From the second session using them I wished I would have just bought ONE good flash vs my 3 cheep china lights.

What's your budget? Surely we can find you something to work with in your price range with shipping included!
 
I have to agree with Jazzie! There is some decent MIC stuff, but it's VERY hard to separate the wheat from the chaff just looking at eBay listings. Is there any used market in your area? Not sure where in SK you are, but there should be access to some decent gear in places like Seoul and Pusan.
 
Thanks for the advice. I have around 150 stuck in a PayPal Account. Unfortunately Amazon doesn't take PayPal. I'm looking for some cheap gear to learn on, before I invest in higher grade equipment. However, I might shop for some quality used gear.
 
All this time I thought that I might be the reason my photos are garbage, but upon closer examination I found that my Nikon 50mm prime lens was MIC, my Nikon speed light was MIC, my Nikon battery grip was MIC, my SanDisk extreme pro CF and SD cards are MIC, my external hard drive is MIC, my computer is MIC, my Canon printer is MIC, and my copy of Photography for Dummies was Printed in China.
 
All this time I thought that I might be the reason my photos are garbage, but upon closer examination I found that my Nikon 50mm prime lens was MIC, my Nikon speed light was MIC, my Nikon battery grip was MIC, my SanDisk extreme pro CF and SD cards are MIC, my external hard drive is MIC, my computer is MIC, my Canon printer is MIC, and my copy of Photography for Dummies was Printed in China.

Every single one of those products is BRANDED, and makes products regulated by a well-known, respected "name brand" that has a reputation to uphold. Nikon is the world's number two ranked camera maker; SanDisk is I think the world's premier brand of camera memory cards. MUCH of the bottom-tier, un-branded, generic Made in China lighting equipment on the other hand is sold by "whoever, wherever", and has a deservedly earned reputation as utter rubbish under actual use.

For example, the "Cowboy Studio" made in China lighting gear...oh my gaaaawd...have you not read the horror stories about the stuff? And the "economy" studio flash units sold under twenty-five different retailer names...the ones with the non-user-changeable flashtubes??? Check out some of the lighting forums...stories everywhere about fried wires, blown capacitors, dead-on-arrival units, one- and two- and three-session failures...the made in China "bargain-priced" lighting gear is really quite shoddy on the whole.

The made-in-China lighting equipment that is sold by the BIGGER brands, like Adorama's FlashPoint house brand, and which is sold throughout most of the Asian markets as Mettle, the manufacturer's OWN actual brand name, is a cut above. But then again, the FlashPoint lights are now in their second decade of production. A good number of the lowest-level flash units are relatively "new designs", and seem to be manufactured by companies that have no desire to make even a decent product, but instead to just make the sales to wholesalers, which have basically, no real reputation to protect.

There really are not that many problems with Nikon cameras and grips, or SanDisk memory cards, or Canon printers because those products are at the TOP of their respective industries, and are overseen by huge, POWERFUL companies that wield power over the manufacturers. The cheapest bargain lighting gear, OTOH, is being funneled to multiple, very small sales distributors who have basically, no stake in maintaining a brand; they just buy the cheapest chit they can from any Chinese factory that can make chit cheaply.

Nikon, SanDisk, and Canon are NOT "Cowboy Studios". No, not by a loooong shot.
 
All this time I thought that I might be the reason my photos are garbage, but upon closer examination I found that my Nikon 50mm prime lens was MIC, my Nikon speed light was MIC, my Nikon battery grip was MIC, my SanDisk extreme pro CF and SD cards are MIC, my external hard drive is MIC, my computer is MIC, my Canon printer is MIC, and my copy of Photography for Dummies was Printed in China.

Obviously not ALL MIC is junk, however you get what you pay for. Cheep Chinese junk, is JUNK. Did I make some nice pictures with my MIC soft-boxes? Sure. At the expense of several broken bulbs from the stands falling over due to lack of heft. Luckily no one was injured during these times. The handles for carrying and adjustment just snapped. The plug in connector for one was never actually secured in place so it pulled on the inside wires every time I unhooked it.

When you purchase a NAME BRAND MIC device you pay for warranty and better quality control, both of which are missing from your average generic ebay seller.
 
Thanks for the advice. I have around 150 stuck in a PayPal Account. Unfortunately Amazon doesn't take PayPal. I'm looking for some cheap gear to learn on, before I invest in higher grade equipment. However, I might shop for some quality used gear.

Are you able to request that paypal send you a check for what's in your account?
 
All this time I thought that I might be the reason my photos are garbage, but upon closer examination I found that my Nikon 50mm prime lens was MIC, my Nikon speed light was MIC, my Nikon battery grip was MIC, my SanDisk extreme pro CF and SD cards are MIC, my external hard drive is MIC, my computer is MIC, my Canon printer is MIC, and my copy of Photography for Dummies was Printed in China.

Every single one of those products is BRANDED, and makes products regulated by a well-known, respected "name brand" that has a reputation to uphold. Nikon is the world's number two ranked camera maker; SanDisk is I think the world's premier brand of camera memory cards. MUCH of the bottom-tier, un-branded, generic Made in China lighting equipment on the other hand is sold by "whoever, wherever", and has a deservedly earned reputation as utter rubbish under actual use.

For example, the "Cowboy Studio" made in China lighting gear...oh my gaaaawd...have you not read the horror stories about the stuff? And the "economy" studio flash units sold under twenty-five different retailer names...the ones with the non-user-changeable flashtubes??? Check out some of the lighting forums...stories everywhere about fried wires, blown capacitors, dead-on-arrival units, one- and two- and three-session failures...the made in China "bargain-priced" lighting gear is really quite shoddy on the whole.

The made-in-China lighting equipment that is sold by the BIGGER brands, like Adorama's FlashPoint house brand, and which is sold throughout most of the Asian markets as Mettle, the manufacturer's OWN actual brand name, is a cut above. But then again, the FlashPoint lights are now in their second decade of production. A good number of the lowest-level flash units are relatively "new designs", and seem to be manufactured by companies that have no desire to make even a decent product, but instead to just make the sales to wholesalers, which have basically, no real reputation to protect.

There really are not that many problems with Nikon cameras and grips, or SanDisk memory cards, or Canon printers because those products are at the TOP of their respective industries, and are overseen by huge, POWERFUL companies that wield power over the manufacturers. The cheapest bargain lighting gear, OTOH, is being funneled to multiple, very small sales distributors who have basically, no stake in maintaining a brand; they just buy the cheapest chit they can from any Chinese factory that can make chit cheaply.

Nikon, SanDisk, and Canon are NOT "Cowboy Studios". No, not by a loooong shot.

Thanks Derrel,
So it is me after all, now I have to go change or delete all my Facebook posts I just made about how good I am but the equipment is the reason I suck.
 
All this time I thought that I might be the reason my photos are garbage, but upon closer examination I found that my Nikon 50mm prime lens was MIC, my Nikon speed light was MIC, my Nikon battery grip was MIC, my SanDisk extreme pro CF and SD cards are MIC, my external hard drive is MIC, my computer is MIC, my Canon printer is MIC, and my copy of Photography for Dummies was Printed in China.

Obviously not ALL MIC is junk, however you get what you pay for. Cheep Chinese junk, is JUNK. Did I make some nice pictures with my MIC soft-boxes? Sure. At the expense of several broken bulbs from the stands falling over due to lack of heft. Luckily no one was injured during these times. The handles for carrying and adjustment just snapped. The plug in connector for one was never actually secured in place so it pulled on the inside wires every time I unhooked it.

When you purchase a NAME BRAND MIC device you pay for warranty and better quality control, both of which are missing from your average generic ebay seller.


I know, I was just kidding with my post. My first soft box from china had fake Velcro that wouldn’t hold together. I don’t remember the brand, but wouldn’t be surprised if it was called “Happy Photo” or something. It was supposed to fit on to your existing speed flash, but failed. $9.95 lesson learned. I actually got better results using gaffers tape and an extra-large Styrofoam cup.
 
I know, I was just kidding with my post. My first soft box from china had fake Velcro that wouldn’t hold together. I don’t remember the brand, but wouldn’t be surprised if it was called “Happy Photo” or something. It was supposed to fit on to your existing speed flash, but failed. $9.95 lesson learned. I actually got better results using gaffers tape and an extra-large Styrofoam cup.

Okay, this actually isn't a bad idea! Derrel shared his innovative idea of using a styrofoam cooler as a softbox, but for something more portable a cup would actually work quite well! Now I'm gonna be on the lookout for styrofoam EVERYTHING. hehehe.
 
Coasty said:
Thanks Derrel,
So it is me after all, now I have to go change or delete all my Facebook posts I just made about how good I am but the equipment is the reason I suck.

I'm not sure why you suck... ;-)

I've seen the bumper stickers that say, "mean people suck!"

Are you a mean person???
 
Coasty said:
Thanks Derrel,
So it is me after all, now I have to go change or delete all my Facebook posts I just made about how good I am but the equipment is the reason I suck.

I'm not sure why you suck... ;-)

I've seen the bumper stickers that say, "mean people suck!"

Are you a mean person???

Surprisingly no, even though I have been around some pretty bad people, from suspected terrorists to drug smugglers, human traffickers and such, I have always been fair and compassionate, that is unless the situation warranted otherwise. I guess I suck due to my lack of experience doing anything other than documentary photography. You don’t get much time to “Photoshop” crime scenes and compose good portraits of suspected bad guys. Lighting takes a back seat when you need to send the picks out on the wire ASAP
 
I found the studio neighborhood in Seoul, it consists of about 3 shops selling studio type stuff. I stumbled on a shop that makes equipment like soft boxes and reflectors, the guy had some pretty high prices.

I ended up getting a gold and a silver umbrella, 2 translucent umbrellas, and a mini soft box. I found out that I can find wireless triggers at my local Nikon shop and there at least 5 shops that specialize in lighting, although the lights are not strobes. I have a flash and will upgrade soon. Hopefully, this is enough to get me started.

I studied lighting for the last 6 months, but could never find studio equipment. I have a book that demonstrates lighting techniques, but if you have ideas on how I can use my limited equipment, I would really appreciate it.

I have decided to use tripods for the translucent umbrella lights instead of light stands, I have 1 light stand for the gold/silver. My next problem is determining how to hold the umbrellas, I have clips and can screw them into the tripod head. However, I'm looking for a design that I can make with parts from my local hardware store for a more stable hold. Again, your tips and ideas will be very well received.

Thanks,

AC
 
acparsons said:
My next problem is determining how to hold the umbrellas, I have clips and can screw them into the tripod head. However, I'm looking for a design that I can make with parts from my local hardware store for a more stable hold. Again, your tips and ideas will be very well received.

Thanks,

AC

I Googled "DIY umbrella mount" and lo and behold...a whole bunch of hardware-store solutions!

DIY umbrella mount - Google Search
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom