Budget lighting setup, suggestions?

brianhuangbh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I've been using my d7k for a while now and I'm considering buying a flash. The thing is, I don't know which ones to get. I can't choose between an on camera flash, or a studio strobe. I'd want something I can shoot indoors but having something to shoot outside is also a great thing. Could I use a hotshoe flash for indoor portraits as well? Or would I be better off buying a dedicated strobe? I'd love to buy a fancy SB-900 and a nice studio strobe for indoors, but I don't have the cash. :(
Can you guys give me some suggestions on what flash to get? I've been looking at monolights and it's all pretty confusing...
Keep in mind I'm on a VERY tight budget, so I'd like something as cheap as possible >.<
Thanks!

check out lighting 101 over at Strobist

he is all about off camera flash on a tight budget :thumbup:

I ended up with LumoPRO LP160s triggered by Cactus V5 for my kit, like ~$350 for 2 strobes and the trigger system.

$ is usually an issue ;(.
Here a quick summary and my 5cents:
Sb400 - worthless unless u just need light and nothing more
600 - great toy BUt no pc connection
700 - can rotate 180* but overhears
Sb800 - work horse but doesn't rotate 180 degrees
900 work horse and overheat and rotates

Off-camera units - GReat gear but w/o knowledge on how to use it are worthless.

There are number of 3rd party branda that are cheaper and efficient : sunpak, nissin, Metz, but what's appropriate for u only U can decide.

I rather take my AB outdoors but it's weight and wiring are not practical at wedding thus it's an sb800 or 600 that goes on portable light and 900 on camera. For in studio and even onlocation studio like settings w/o traveling ABs that do the job.

Good luck with ur decision.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll definitely check out that site when I have time.
As for the flashes, would I be able to use the flashes for indoor portraits or should I buy a strobe?
I was looking at sub-$100 flashes like the Yongnuo flashes. Does anyone here have those? Are they any good or should I just save a bit more and go for the Nikon flashes?

If you learn the theory, selecting gear will be a lot easier. Having someone recommend a piece of gear does you little good because they do not understand your needs as well as you do, and you may not have the same approach that motivated their recommendation. Figure out how lighting works, and your questions will answer themselves. All of these different pieces of gear exist because they're all useful to someone, but you don't seem to know yet what would be useful to you, so it's not possible to recommend specifically.

If you learn the theory, selecting gear will be a lot easier. Having someone recommend a piece of gear does you little good because they do not understand your needs as well as you do, and you may not have the same approach that motivated their recommendation. Figure out how lighting works, and your questions will answer themselves. All of these different pieces of gear exist because they're all useful to someone, but you don't seem to know yet what would be useful to you, so it's not possible to recommend specifically.

I agree, but the thing is, I don't know what I need. I have never owned a nice on camera flash, much less a dedicated studio flash. I need suggestions on what kind of flash I should get, and when I get it, hopefully i'll be more knowledgeable about flashes :)

Brian, list your budget.
List what you want to do with the lighting 1st (indoor/outdoor portraiture, shoot rug rats, portable, light modifiers you want to use, etc. and what you hope the lighting kit will lead you up to (fashion, portairture etc.).
That way we can suggest a kit to start with that is able to grow with your skills and knowledge.
Most folks buy into junk and end up selling it later on , when they should have saved a little more and bought into a flash that would have more than likely stayed in the kit.
-
Shoot well, Joe

Brian.. the really cheap no names might be ok if you are only going to shoot in manual mode (which is a great way to learn).. but the no names often have major issues (color, consistency, hot spots, etc). The Yongnou has a lot of good reviews on Amazon, so for a really basic manual flash.. it might do ok.

the Nikon speedlights would be great on that body, but they are expensive. You can pick up a Nikon dedicated Vivitar, Metz or Sunpak for a reasonable amount.. so you can use TTL, and some of the other neat features. Studio flashes can wait, you need to learn the basics first.

check out Amazon.com: Sunpak PZ40X II Power Zoom Digital Flash for all Nikon TTL, D-TTL, and i-TTL Cameras (Black): Camera & Photo for possible TTL compatibility and Amazon.com: Vivitar 285HV Auto Professional Flash: Camera & Photo is a well thought of manual flash that has been around a while

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back