Budget Sony Full-frame Body?

A few too many truisms above. Typical trollish bs: long on opinion, short on fact. Love the axiom that small, inexpensive lenses are always inferior to large expensive ones. Right...

A few too many truisms above. Typical trollish bs: long on opinion, short on fact. Love the axiom that small, inexpensive lenses are always inferior to large expensive ones. Right...

I wrote typically the best lenses are more expensive, heavy and bulky. I did not write that is always the case nor that these are necessarily the most expensive, but these are typically not cheap.

Neither did I write expensive lenses are the best or that cheap ones are horrible as you can easily find overpriced mediocre lenses such as the 35mm Zeiss (unless you get a good copy) and where some cheaper ones dos allot better, just as you can find cheap lenses that dos fairly well compared to the price.

For example the sony 85mm is probably the best value for money, but the Sigma and Sony GM is still better. The Samyang also dos well if you get a good copy and for a time but doesn’t hold op for very long. This is too often a problem with cheaper lenses, these might be great if you get a good copy, but then again you might not. I have seen, heard and experienced way too many not holding up for very long. At the end of the day you get what you pay for. There is a good reason why Sony charge almost 4x for their GM, it’s not only about picture quality but also durability and longevity.

Way too many thing that you should only look at the total costs of parts (an actual useless information in its own), but that is just only a small part of what makes up the total cost of a product, companies need to pay wages, suppliers etc. if you don’t look at those aspects you won’t get a very clear picture of what the total costs is. I‘m familiar with a few companies who play with completely open cards and tell the price of every part, process etc. it give an insight into all the things that needs to be included and also the problems that you can encounter, problems that you need to cover in the final price.

If you cannot afford it too bad, buy something else. Don’t complain that it’s too expensive or buy it when the price drops. If the cheap Sony A7C end up costing $2000 then it’s the right price.

There are times when companies will choose to make no money off of one product in order to gain a larger piece of the market and be able to sell more of their “accessories”. The PlayStation is an example of this. They make very little off of the play station itself but they make up for it with their games and everything that goes along with people playing it. Maybe they are willing to sell a new camera at cost knowing that people will be buying their lenses and such. Just a thought.

If my memory serves me correctly the Sony corporation operated for 7 years in the early 2000s without once making a profit.

The last news article I read about the upcoming a7c listed a potential retail price of $2,000, which is quite a bit more than the first article I read which gave an anticipated price of $898 to $999...quite a substantial difference.

If my memory serves me correctly the Sony corporation operated for 7 years in the early 2000s without once making a profit.

The last news article I read about the upcoming a7c listed a potential retail price of $2,000, which is quite a bit more than the first article I read which gave an anticipated price of $898 to $999...quite a substantial difference.
Hard to know what is true, the a73 costed less than 2k (1999 I think, now I'm not 100% on that in dollars but it wasn't loads more) on release so the budget model will likely be less. Now less than 1k seems like too good to be true but with sales supposedly declining, covid and the fact that as said, accessories lenses and that may bring revenue in who knows, we can hope

One thing I have not yet figured out for any of the manufacturers is where the margin is: glass or bodies?

That determines if they sell bodies at a loss or break even to then sell lenses profitably or vice versa.

My sense is that high end glass is very expensive , perhaps making good lenses lower margin?

Bodies also benefit from economies of scale with larger production runs (some kit lenses are an exception).

Also, making glass is almost an art. So some may have advantage in lens making.

All of this plays into which manufacturers even have the option to cut prices on their bodies. I'd really like to see the data.

Most reactions

Back