Budget?

van

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bitburning.com
I want to have more control and so I am looking at SLR cameras. I would like to go film, but I have no idea what the costs are in the long run. Ive never taken a roll of film anywhere to be developed. Do you need special film developers if you are trying to be more professional? What are the costs involved?

well where I go in the UK the costs of processing are rarely more than £5 about 8 USD. Unless you want enlargements or copies of prints.

You could always try processing you're own if you are going to shoot a lot of black and white, which could see long term savings.

In terms of the quality of the process, again the place that I go to will allow you to take back anything that you aren't happy with and have it reprinted for free.

What are you gonna shoot? It's nice knowing your budget for equipment too...

Well, if you're learning, slide film with teach you a little more about exposure and is cheaper than print film in the long run when it comes to per roll price and devleoping. I pay right now $8.75 a roll for developing 35mm slides at one pro-lab which is on the high side of the spectrum and the other lab I've recently had a bad run of luck at charges $7.50 a roll. There are places that chagre a little less but you get what you pay for as evidenced from the number of ruined slides I have.

At those prices, I have basically paid for a D70 and then some in the last 9 months.

Digital SLR's I think are the greatest tool out right now for learning. No financial repercussions for under/over exposing half a dozen shots to only get one good one. I just come from the previous generation that learned with film as digital just wasn't up to par 10+ years ago.

My suggestion right now for someone who wants to start learning with a full featured camera, go digital. With the current affordable technology out right now, I'm of the opinion that film still has the edge when comes to quality but digital owns the world of verstility when it comes to convenience. But who knows what the next 5 years will bring. I just go with the flow which has me in a half film, half digi world, as I shoot film but scan em' for web use and the occasional 8X10 from Adorama. For stuff I hang on the wall, you can't beat prints from slides................

disclaimer: When it comes to the Film vs Digi debate I can only share the opinion of Sgt Schultz from Hogan's Heros... "I know nothing......"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back