Built in flash vs external flash

The built-in flash can be very useful, if you learn how to use it and understand it's limitations.
It is there as a convenience.

Camera maker dedicated external flashes are kind of expensive because they have so many bells and whistles.
Not all external flash units will have a faster re-cycle time than the built-in flash unit.

External hot shoe flash units have quite a bit less max power than most studio type flash units.

Last edited:
I wonder when a camera company is going to feature a pop-up flash that can swivel and tilt.

Never. It would hurt sales of their money making, high profit, (Cha! Ching!) external flash units.

Never. It would hurt sales of their money making, high profit, (Cha! Ching!) external flash units.

True.

External flash has much more "potential capability" than the built-in flash; it can be zoomed, swiveled, tilted, and therefor bounced off of walls, ceilings, from behind the camera position, off to the side, off of bounce cards, off of bounce boards, and out of umbrellas and softboxes and ring-lights and beauty dishes, and so on. External flashes can be VERY powerful, like some of the Metz handle-mount flashes, or the Quantum Q-flash, and can approach the light output of some low-end monolights. The discontinued Sunpak 622 Super handle-mount style flash is about equal in actual, real-world f/stop to some 400 Watt-second monolights--and is powered by 4 C-cell batteries!!!

External flash can also be used off-camera with various ways to synchronize it with the camera's shutter; cords, optical slaves, or wireless remotes, either built-in to the main camera, or accessory remotes bought from vendors.

Last edited:
Not all external flash units can be zoomed, swiveled, tilted, but most camera maker dedicated flash units can.

But used off camera just about any flash unit can be mounted on a stand so it is pointing up, sideways, or otherwise.

Last edited:
A good flash with off camera capabilities is one of the most important tools in your bag.

I'm thinking about buying a hot shoe flash. Someone told me a built-in flash is not very good, but to me it looks very good. I have a Canon Rebel DSLR. Should I stick with the same brand of hot shoe flash, or do you guys suggest one with good budget?

I'm thinking about buying a hot shoe flash. Someone told me a built-in flash is not very good, but to me it looks very good. I have a Canon Rebel DSLR. Should I stick with the same brand of hot shoe flash, or do you guys suggest one with good budget?

It's a matter of flexibility. On camera flashes are great for taking a snapshot of a dark science. A hit shoe flash can change the entire dynamic of a photo.

I have two Canon 580EXII flashes and two Yongnuo YN-565EX flashes, which are Yongnuo's direct answer to the genuine Canon flashes. I've been using the Canons for something like 8 years, and the Yongnuos for about a year and a half.

From my direct experience with them in heavy use over those time periods, I recommend saving your money on the brand name, and go for the much cheaper third party flash.

Others will likely be along shortly to disagree with that recommendation. You might ask them how long they've been personally physically comparing them, or if it's just their opinion based on web-chat.

If you look at some of the top threads just below this one in the "Lighting and Hardware" forum this thread has now been moved to, you'll see plenty of debate on the subject.

Last edited:
I just recently bought a speedlite. The bounce lighting looks very good on my photographs. Do you guys recommend bounce flash diffuser? Thx guys for your helps.

Most reactions

Back