buisiness model idea..is this even "do-able?"

Well, is it about taking pictures, or about money? ;)

I'd say.. It's about taking pictures.. But if people want to ask me for my time and schedule a session, it's about being compensated for my work.

The more I do this, though.. The more I'm feeling like I might just want it to be about taking pictures. period.

You could always go out and take people pics, and put them up for Stock Photo sites. This would alllow you to hand out a business card as you get their model release form. :sexywink:

One of the Stock sites had a list of the kinds of people pics that are in demand, so then you also have a project to inspire you. See how much win that is!

You could always go out and take people pics, and put them up for Stock Photo sites. This would alllow you to hand out a business card as you get their model release form. :sexywink:

One of the Stock sites had a list of the kinds of people pics that are in demand, so then you also have a project to inspire you. See how much win that is!

I really like that idea! But how would I handle getting prints/files for my subjects? I would still need a buisiness model for taking care of them, right?

Business card <---> website.

It's more of an innocuous approach. You go out looking for good shots, get them, then go get your model release form signed, give them a business card. People are vain, they will go look to see their picture. *BAM* you got a visiter to your website who might look at what else you do. If the picture is good, they may point friends to your site, or buy a print. But the point was, you go out have fun shooting, geared towards Stock Photo sales, and pass out business cards to boot which will in turn advertise your "formal shoots".

It seems you are more interested in making money with your photography rather than just having fun with it. Not a judgement, just an observation. ;)

There's also the legal aspect of it; unless you provide each potential client with a secure gallery, (which seems to me that it might be a lot more trouble than it's worth from a website administration point of view) there's a chance that someone could take offence to publicly accessible images of themselves for which you have no release.
What legal aspect?

If they are out in public they can't have any reasonable expectation of privacy. I don't need their permission to take a photo of them. It's polite to ask, but you certainly aren't legally required to ask.

You can also display those photos on your personal web site without their peermission.
You can even display those photos on your business web site in most instances. You would need a signed release to showe th photos on your business web site if the person(s)in the photo could be perceived as enorsing or sponsoring your business.

Of course, you can be sued for anything, even if the suit has no merit.

I was reading some of Bryan Peterson's book "Beyond Portraiture" last night, and an idea came to mind that I hadn't considered before.

Most of the people pictures in his book weren't "sessions..." but just interesting people he really wanted to photograph.

I got me to thinking..

What if I just approached people and asked if they wanted their pictures done? Rather than waiting for "so and so's engagement, their cousin's brother's fiance's neice's little sister to turn one, or to schedule senior portraits in overdone locations".. What if I offered to just DO pictures when I saw an opportunity?

Say, if I was out for a walk and saw a sweet family playing outside with their dog and a frisbee...Introduced myself and offered to take pictures (no charge) then gave them my card. They could see the pictures on my website, and if they liked them- buy them. If not...so what, I got to take pictures of what I thought would be a cute picture opportunity.

Does that make sense? Is this even something photographers do? I'm just not totally loving the "custom photography" only buisiness that I've run into and would like to take more pictures of more interesting things than just scheduled once-a year, get the family dressed up and do pictures for the Christmas card- shoots.

Would something like that be successful? I'd need to charge decently for the pictures to account for the new structure..but I think it would take a lot of pressure off me (and my subjects), opening a lot more opportunities.

Anyway.. Just an idea I was considering (and only halfway seriously at that.)

What do you all think?

There is a local company who places ads on craig's list telling people "we will be in such and such location at such and such time if you want to have your picture taken, just a small charge."They do this in there slow times. Usually the location is a heavy traffic spot such as a downtown shopping center or poplular park, fountain location.

I would think approaching people while they were "out doing there thing" *might* not want to be bothered by a photo session.

*shrugs*

Do post back and share how this adventure unfolds.

Heh.. It's only a hypothetical venture at the moment:lol:

I think I just need to pick up my camera and take pictures instead of theorizing about how I could find ways to take more pictures:blushing:

They do this all the times a fairs, amusement parks. Find a popular location with a lot of traffic. Thing is you will need to print the picture there.
Offer your services to Halloween stores such as Sprit Halloween as a perk of shopping there that week prior. Or maybe outside a haunted house or corn maze. These are all areas with high traffic where spur of the moment memories may be made. Then advertise in craig's list that you will be there. Just an idea;)

What you are describing existed for years on European beaches. Not sure if it still does because I am not much of a beach person. Photogs roamed the beaches shooting couples and families, handing out cards with directions to the shop where you could buy the prints and there are a few of those shots in my parents' photo albums.

I can't tell you what kind of money they made but a friend of mine operated a "crepe" truck in resorts during the season and he worked about four months out the year, living more than decently the rest of the time... :D

Kind of the same as club photogs I guess although, tbh, I have no idea how those people work today. Two of my most prized matchbooks in my collection are photos of my parents on the cover of matchbooks from the "Moulin Rouge" in Paris. Wonderful pieces of family history...

I would say go for it. What have you got to lose by trying out the idea?

Last year when trick or treating with the kids one house (of a photographer) had a whole setting with lights and all set up in his garage. He gave out candy bags with business cards and offered to take pictures and see them on a website to make orders. Long lines at his house but the pics were good. Had I not been broke I def would have ordered some.

Wow, what a wonderful idea. To be honest, one of the few reasons I'm still on this site is to steal ideas and I will be passing this one along to a few people back in the US. Thank you.

What legal aspect?

The legal aspect of people who don't know the law, but have enough money to hire a lawyer who will be a pain in your butt, or who know just enough that they figure they can put the squeeze on you. Let's face it, what's everyone's favorite response anytime something happens they object to? "I'll sue you!" Not saying I agree with it, but I think you gotta admit, it is a fact.

What legal aspect?

The legal aspect of people who don't know the law, but have enough money to hire a lawyer who will be a pain in your butt, or who know just enough that they figure they can put the squeeze on you. Let's face it, what's everyone's favorite response anytime something happens they object to? "I'll sue you!" Not saying I agree with it, but I think you gotta admit, it is a fact.

Relax buddy. I have been told I was going to be sued more times than I can count (and I can count to ten, lol) but I have never been sued by any of those idiots.

Yes, suing is easy but unless you've got half a brain to figure out the complexities, a lawyer is going to eat everything you gain by suing. And that's if you even have the money to hire a lawyer worth hiring in the first place.

Don't let one person on the site make such a decision for you.

Take the idea and try it out for a couple of weekends. See where it heads. How in the world would you know it works if you have not tried it???

Remember to be positive and smile. People can 'feel' positive attitude....

this is absolutely the way to go. Try it.

...Yes, suing is easy but unless you've got half a brain to figure out the complexities, a lawyer is going to eat everything you gain by suing. And that's if you even have the money to hire a lawyer worth hiring in the first place.
Fair enough; having "been there and fought that" perhaps my view is a little more jaded.

What if I just approached people and asked if they wanted their pictures done? Rather than waiting for "so and so's engagement, their cousin's brother's fiance's neice's little sister to turn one, or to schedule senior portraits in overdone locations".. What if I offered to just DO pictures when I saw an opportunity?
I keep business cards on my at all times. I am very amicable even though I don't look like the average Joe. It's all about people skills. You just never know. No harm, no foul........

.... even if ababysean would claim it as fowl. There is a joke there, but i digress.................. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back