Bulk loading question

Patrick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kylesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just got back in B&W after dipping into the D-SLR lifestyle for a bit.
I've been looking at some bulk rolls of film and was wondering just how many frames and/or rolls can you get from a 100' roll?

Thanks in advance

ksmattfish said:
ferny said:
I remember reading in my Dynax manual when I got it (and before I knew anything about photography) that the counter goes up to 70. I wonder why it goes so high. It can only take 135 film.
Possibly it can be fitted with a different back that holds longer rolls of film?

If you try to load your own rolls of more than 40, I think you'll quickly notice that it gets tight pretty quick. It actually becomes hard to turn the bulk loader handle.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=146384&highlight=bulk+loader#post146384

Strange what you remember sometimes, isn't it? :lol:

Where is Matt?!?!?!

The standard 36 frame 35mm film is about 1.6 to 1.7 meters long.
100' is approximately 30m.
Therefore 100' will yield approximately 17 rolls of 36 exposure film.
The main drawback with bulk film is scratches occuring during loading.
Bulk film loaders are notorious for damaging film, and you can put scratches on it by running it through the cassette light trap too.
Buy the best quality bulk film loader you can afford and give everything a thorough clean before use.
Or you can roll the film by hand in total darkness - which is what I used to do.

Patrick said:
Yea...and too bad it doesn't have anything to do with the actual question asked.:confused: :wink:
Yeah, I noticed that after I posted it. :oops:
Still, at least now you know how many you can fit into a cartridge now. Oh, go on, tell me you already knew. :(

:lol:

I've got 4 Lloyd's bulk loaders, and have been scratch free for miles of bulk loaded film. I've always had great results, so I have never tried another brand. Mr. Lloyd used to make them in his garage, but he died in the 1990s, and his widow sold the manufacturing gear, patents, etc... to some bigger photo supply company (I can't remember who). Hopefully they are still making them with the same attention to quality that Mr. Lloyd did.

If you are going to shoot a lot of film, bulk loading will pay off the loader pretty quickly. When shooting bulk loaded film always reshoot the last frame at the end of a roll, because it will be probably be light struck from the loading process. Also tape the cassettes together to insure that they don't pop apart. When brand new the cassettes are pretty reliable, but after you've pried the ends off a few times they can get loose.

ksmattfish said:
I've got 4 Lloyd's bulk loaders, and have been scratch free for miles of bulk loaded film. I've always had great results, so I have never tried another brand. Mr. Lloyd used to make them in his garage, but he died in the 1990s, and his widow sold the manufacturing gear, patents, etc... to some bigger photo supply company (I can't remember who). Hopefully they are still making them with the same attention to quality that Mr. Lloyd did.

If you are going to shoot a lot of film, bulk loading will pay off the loader pretty quickly. When shooting bulk loaded film always reshoot the last frame at the end of a roll, because it will be probably be light struck from the loading process. Also tape the cassettes together to insure that they don't pop apart. When brand new the cassettes are pretty reliable, but after you've pried the ends off a few times they can get loose.

Good to know Thanks! For the price diff. I may give the Lloyd's a try.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back