Bullet Holes

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys:

This is from a shoot I did recently, and I could use some advice (and feel free to take a whack at it yourself!).

I'd like to make this as realistic as possible. We did some stuff IRL, like the holes in the shirt, dirt, etc. And we used water to darken the shirt for blood. However, it's obviously got a bit of a ways to go. I have no urgency in completing this edit, but in the final product I'd like for the gun to look real (I should have just gotten a realistic replica), and the blood to look real.

SN: I'm not asking for critique of this photo as it's not yet finished, and I'm not asking for your opinion on the subject matter. Simply looking for help with Photoshop technique.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2015-10-09 at 12.50.45 PM.jpg

Can't help for the post stuff, but for the next time you need fake blood, try red food coloring and water; add a little powdered cocoa to darken it up and add some thickness.

Thanks for the hint!

Make the BB/pellet gun look real...

I don't see the point of your comment, but I'd like to point out that it's actually neither of those things.

I don't see the point of your comment, but I'd like to point out that it's actually neither of those things.
Sorry, I didn't realize that you had already mentioned that in your OP. Since you're only looking for Photoshop technique (and no other comments), I'll bow out here, because others will likely be able to help you better.

got a bigger, non-compressed version? like 2000-3000px along the longest edge?

If it's realism that you want, ask your model to unfocus his eyes. It doesn't matter what he's looking at, and "nothing at all" would be perfect.

If it's realism that you want, ask your model to unfocus his eyes. It doesn't matter what he's looking at, and "nothing at all" would be perfect.

That's exactly what I told him during our shoot. I think it turned out okay.

Braineack why do you want a bigger version? I can send you one if you'd like.

That's exactly what I told him during our shoot. I think it turned out okay.

Braineack why do you want a bigger version? I can send you one if you'd like.
1. Why do you think I mentioned it?
2. I presume he wants to edit it.

Personally I would re-shoot this. Its not bad its just that it could be better. Here are my thoughts:

The pistol is obviously not real. You already mentioned that, and you can get pretty accurate replicas made for airsoft, so I would try that. Unless I were using a real pistol, I would go with an all black replica. The reason is that the repicas don't use metal and if you wanted a bi-tone (like with a metal slide) it would look fake. If it comes with the orange tip (most do) remove that for the shoot.

I also think that there should be more blood. Sorry, I'm getting gross here... I just expect to see more blood....too much CSI I guess. But even if its not a ton of blood, there should at least be blood leaking through his fingers to look real.

Last, I would try a slightly different camera angle. It looks like he is looking into the lens and I think that is taking away from the dead eye look. As for the eyes, there may be contacts that could assist with the dead look, but I'm just guessing.... not sure. And I think tears might help.... I think most people would leak a little if they got shot.

Now after writing all of that... I feel a little morbid so I'm just going to go look at some CareBear pics or something. lol.

If it comes with the orange tip (most do) remove that for the shoot.
By doing that, you will effectively wreck the toy, because the orange tips are glued in. Furthermore; by removing the orange tip, you will make the toy extremely dangerous, so you must completely destroy the toy so that no child will ever be able to "play" with it.

Much easier would be to simply borrow a real pistol.

Considering you can get a replica for about $25 I would have no trouble "wrecking" it for a photo shoot or destroying it for that matter. It feels a lot safer. For one, unless this shoot is done on private property, there are carry laws that apply and second the first rule of gun safety is to treat all firearms as if they are loaded.... Even when you know they aren't.

Designer is right, once the mod is made, it looks real enough to be dangerous. Someone might mistake it for a threat and that is not something you want. Kids have been shot by law enforcement for having modified air soft pistols. So above all else... stay safe.

Thanks for the feedback.

All of the comments I've received are actually thoughts that I had. I asked a friend if I could borrow his real gun and he was uncomfortable with it, even if he was supervising. I know I should have gotten a replica, but were were on a time constraint and this was the realest thing the Halloween store had.

Ah well.

Most reactions

Back