Busted!!!!

So you're saying skateboarding is the equivilent to murder? Man... I had no idea it was that bad now... I guess it should be illegal, my bad.

I personally know of someone who was hurt by an inline skater. They were in a public place, minding their own business, sitting on a bench out in the sun, when an inline skater jumped off a wall, right smack into the back of this person's head.

Now that person is a paraplegic with a broken neck, hooked to Oxygen, in a wheelchair, for the rest of their life.

But I guess the skater had a perfect right to be there, doing what he was doing because he wanted to be there.

And of course, the property owner was liable and responsible, and that is okay, because the skater wanted to be there. And the property owner has the money...

I know someone else whose child lost their life in an accident caused by streetracers, but the streetracers had a right to be there, doing whatever, because they wanted to.

My dad almost died two years ago because someone pulled out in front of him while he was riding on his motorcycle to work, so don't try to get sympathy out of people with stories. Like I already said, I'm not saying it's ok to injure people, but since when has skateboarding been a major cause of injuries? That is such a pointless argument as to why it should not be allowed. Like my comparison to people driving cars, it depends on the actual person for if they're being wreckless and not aware of their surroundings, so why is everyone stereotyping skateboarding as such a horrible thing when there is much worse things people do every single day and no one thinks a thing about them?

And as to me knowing it all, sorry that a 20 year old is out smarting you on a subject, that doesn't mean that I think I know it all, it just means I know more than you about it ;)

Well, this is a pointless argument anyway, it's not like all of your whining is going to bring about an end to skateboarding or other pointlessly illegal things. Hopefully that one guy was joking about skateboarding being equal to murder though. I made my point, and no one really has much of a good response, and it doesn't matter if you do anyway, it's just the internet. So see ya!

I think you are over reacting, because I highly doubt that anyone is trying to bring an end to skateboarding.

What they would like to bring an end to is needless vandalism when their place is hurt, and putting others in danger. This is not to say that all skateboarders put people in danger, but it does happen many times when it shouldn't be.

Secondly, as for a 20year old outsmarting them on this topic, I'm sorry, but your arguments have been full of fallacies, you are saying that if anyone commits a crime no one else should be able to make a comment about it because they too have broken the law at some point. That would be akin to saying that I can mug you because you jaywalked and you couldn't say anything about it. If you go to any logic class in college the professor would tell you your argument was crap (well, they would use nicer terminology but it would amount to the same thing).

As for joking about it being the same as murder...

I was making a point myself by following your same logic. You gave the logic that if you break the law another person is hypocritical if they comment on it because they have also broken a law. Only problem is that there is a huge difference between skateboarding and murder. Similarly there is a huge difference between walking across a floor and damaging and scuffing up knocking a hole out of etc. property because of skateboarding.

My arguments had nothing to do with me, they were directly focused on you and your points of views on things.

I guess in your eyes my point of view (that people should be responsible for their actions, they shouldn't break the law when it affects other people's physical safety or damage to their property) are out of line.

You, too, are part of the problem. :twak:

You're also on ignore. Children should be seen, not heard. :lmao:

I think you are over reacting, because I highly doubt that anyone is trying to bring an end to skateboarding.

Yeah, I LOLed when I read that. How childish. :lmao:

your arguments have been full of fallacies
Erm, yep.

You gave the logic
I LOLed again. :lol:

and then of course we get into the liability issue. You mention money and Walmart as though because they have money it's ok, or because they have insurance it isn't really hurting them. But it is ridiculous to suggest that you make the error by skateboarding illegally on their private property and they are liable if you hurt yourself?

The thing is this doesn't just happen to companies like walmart. This happens to small business owners, who are struggling to make ends meet and then suddenly they get hit with a huge suit potentially knocking them out of business because a skateboarder decided they were above the rules and decided to skate on the business owners property. It happens all the time, and those that have the liability insurance are able to use that, of course the problem there is that it just drives up the prices of liability insurance for everyone. All thanks to the skateboarder who decided to do this.

hey, say I like to shoot... but do I do so in the city limits? no... not unless I go to the gun range. If I can't go out to shoot real often then what do I do? I just don't shoot real often. Not the end of the world. I do other hobbies... like photography.

Wow, this has become quite the saga, I'm loving this....

Cops like this are all just power hungry losers. They do this to make themselves feel powerful, and it's pathetic. Just look at this picture, is anyone impressed by that guy?

My brother does skateboard videos professionally for a living, and you wouldn't believe the stories about how retarded cops are about skateboarding. I've lost alot of respect for any police officer for these reasons.

This is pretty ridiculous. I *definitely* agree that there are some cops that totally abuse their authority, but that shouldn't be any reflection on the rest of them. It might make sense to know the story before you say "Cops like this are all just power hungry losers". We don't know if the kid is there just for skateboarding, or for hitting an old lady in the head with his skateboard (exaggeration, hopefully). The point is, don't jump to conclusions or judge a HUGE group of people based on a small percentage of bad apples.

"..Mum seriously, I was only grabbing a tow ! He didn't mind until he saw me..."

I find it funny how some of these threads progressively turn into socio philosophical debates.
Me too. Watch this...

what do you suggest i do?

Oh, by all means, break the law and do what ever the **** you wanna do. :twak:

It's not like the laws should apply to YOU because dammit, you live in an apartment and you should be treated differently some how.

What are you, like 8?

Seriously?

and if i do hurt my self i accept that it was my fault and no one else's
It's not just about YOU getting hurt. If you're under 18 your parents are the ones that will be suing, not you. If you're over 18, you really need to grow up and act it. Breaking the law because you haven't found a way to skate legally is not how adults act. Duh.

What if you hit a kid walking by, or land on a stroller, or your board flies out and hits someone in the head. You going to pay for that too?

What about the damage you do to the property? Do you come back and patch up the gouges in the equipment you play on? Do you come back and clean up your scuff marks you leave on curbs, walls, benches, tables, etc etc etc?

and while i may damage property, i'm sure walmart has the money to fix a little ding in the ledge that i put there.
Yeah, that's what I thought.

You're part of the problem, not part of the solution. You SHOULD have a place to ride, absolutely. If for nothing else just to help reduce the damage you do to other people's property. Just do it legally.

Don't take it upon yourself to decide you can **** up other people's property just because you live in an apartment and can't put up a ramp in the hallway. Instead, talk to the landlord and ask for a corner of a parking lot or something. Sign releases of liability. Wear safety gear. Keep the place nice. Don't be a punk.

I'm all about you having a place to ride. I go through the same crap trying to get places to ride ATVs. But I damn sure don't ride where I'm not allowed to. That's stupid because it shows everyone I don't give a crap so they will only fight harder against me. Just like someone like me who would otherwise be your ally; your ef'd up attitude puts me squarely against you.

When you act like that, you don't deserve a place to ride.

Sorry mods if this is too personal. People need to know how their attitude affects their cause, that's all. I'll edit if you want.

+1 also

I find it funny how some of these threads progressively turn into socio philosophical debates.
Me too. Watch this...

Oh, by all means, break the law and do what ever the **** you wanna do. :twak:

It's not like the laws should apply to YOU because dammit, you live in an apartment and you should be treated differently some how.

What are you, like 8?

Seriously?

It's not just about YOU getting hurt. If you're under 18 your parents are the ones that will be suing, not you. If you're over 18, you really need to grow up and act it. Breaking the law because you haven't found a way to skate legally is not how adults act. Duh.

What if you hit a kid walking by, or land on a stroller, or your board flies out and hits someone in the head. You going to pay for that too?

What about the damage you do to the property? Do you come back and patch up the gouges in the equipment you play on? Do you come back and clean up your scuff marks you leave on curbs, walls, benches, tables, etc etc etc?

and while i may damage property, i'm sure walmart has the money to fix a little ding in the ledge that i put there.
Yeah, that's what I thought.

You're part of the problem, not part of the solution. You SHOULD have a place to ride, absolutely. If for nothing else just to help reduce the damage you do to other people's property. Just do it legally.

Don't take it upon yourself to decide you can **** up other people's property just because you live in an apartment and can't put up a ramp in the hallway. Instead, talk to the landlord and ask for a corner of a parking lot or something. Sign releases of liability. Wear safety gear. Keep the place nice. Don't be a punk.

I'm all about you having a place to ride. I go through the same crap trying to get places to ride ATVs. But I damn sure don't ride where I'm not allowed to. That's stupid because it shows everyone I don't give a crap so they will only fight harder against me. Just like someone like me who would otherwise be your ally; your ef'd up attitude puts me squarely against you.

When you act like that, you don't deserve a place to ride.

Sorry mods if this is too personal. People need to know how their attitude affects their cause, that's all. I'll edit if you want.

+1 also
I'll see your +1 and I'll raise you +1.

I find that there are a lot of people that don't understand respect for someone else's property... except for when THEY own something nice that gets vandalized/stolen/carelessly damaged. Same for the safety of others.

If you really want to do something about the lack of skate parks in your area petition your local government. A bunch of kids in my city did just that, the city matched funds that the petitioners raised to build the skate park at a local city park. Now both the skaters and the businesses (some of which donated to help get the kids off their sidewalks) are happy.

Edit: I also like the picture. Good story telling going on in the capture.

I think that skateboarding is cool, I like to do it on occasion.
I think damaging private or public property is wrong.

I also think that the line between public and private space has been dramatically blurred in this country. As more and more of the country's public spaces become private property public places, (think outdoor mall) and the real public space shrinks, there is going to be conflict.

So, when, in an increasingly private public space, do I care if the paint on a rail is scrubbed off by skateboarders over the course of a year? Not really. If it were my rail, yeah, I might be a bit buggered, but I can go paint it again, or I can weld little nuts on it, thereby further reducing the amount of things that people can do in the public sphere.

All the laws we have for EVERYTHING and the ever growing sphere of the Private Property, is reducing freedom and quality of life for everyone. Yes it is very orderly and helps to maximize profits, but damn, so boring and sterile.

Rekd, for you call the guy a troll and put the guy on ignore because he was arguing his POV a bit colorfully, is pretty weak. Hope you never get in a real argument where someone says something truly offensive to you, you might feint.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back